(25) Silent Battle

Hi!
I'm so stresssssed, can't believe I'm moving out in a week!
But I finally managed to finish this chapter :D
And we're getting closer to the end of the book… :0 (a bit)
Thank you to everyone voting and commenting <3
Enjoy!
TW: mention of violence, little bit of blood

After the soldiers had brought Karl back from his interrogation they pulled Darryl out of his cell and led him through the same corridor.

Clay was nearly squeezing through his bars, trying to spot Karl who was standing a few cells away, leaning against the wall so he would not fall.

"Karl?" Clay asked carefully. "Are you okay? What did they do?"

He could hear the rebel take a shaky breath.
"I'm… I'm fine. They tried to squeeze everything out of me. I tried not to give away too much information."

His voice sounded dead.

Clay's hands started to feel numb as he tried not to think about what must have happened to Karl. 

"Did they-"

"Yes." Karl said.

Clay heard a noise which he assumed to be Karl slowly sitting down next to the bars of his cell, leaning his head against one of the bars.

"Oh."

Clay's heart started to beat painfully as he thought about what was happening to Darryl at the moment and about him being next.

"Karl?"
The rebel sighed and stood up again, walking to a corner of his cell from where he could see the other Vilis.

His eyes were tired and there was no rebellious glow in them anymore.

"Hi Clay."
His voice was not as numb as before.

"So… they got you?"
Clay did not know what to say, every word that came out of his mouth seemed to be awkward. It was all helpless.

"Yeah." 
Karl looked down, apparently thinking the same. There was no point in hoping. 

"How's Nick?"
Clay asked and Karl looked up, his eyes full of grief.

"I think he's okay. At least he didn't get caught. I hope he isn't doing anything stupid, he would be the type of person who would start a fight with a Pretiosi just to protect his friends."

Clay nodded, not sure if Karl could see it. Nick was that type of person.

Everytime he saw a flickering light in the corner of his eye, he quickly turned around, expecting his best friend standing in the door of the cell, grinning at him like there was no tomorrow.

But of course Nick was far away.
Clay could only hope he was safe there and would not try to do something stupid.

"Why did you want to kidnap George?"
Clay asked into the huge silence.

Almost at the same time his stomach started to rumble. He had not eaten for the whole day.

"Blackmail of course." Karl answered. "But also information. One rebel thought that we could change George's mind, he's still young and manipulable. Maybe he would have fought for us. But mostly it was because of his and Fulga's planned wedding. Fulga is very powerful and after their marriage it would be way more difficult to come near George."

"Oh alright."
Clay tried to feel bad for George but the disappointed and hurt look in the Prince's eyes were haunting him.

George might be able help him, he could get him out of this cell but of course there was no reason to.