Chapter 19

But then it didn't come like the poor little angel expected. The chaos didn't come—it didn't barge into her space, her comforting little space—like she expected it to. And because of that, she doesn't really know what to expect anymore.

What was there to expect but hope?

Isabella intertwined her hands together, pleading to herself to be as strong as her family, to be as brave as them. Because she needs it. She really needs to be brave and to stay smart, just until they come. She's still hoping that they'll come.

"Please..." Isabella pleaded in the empty bathroom, her words echoing into the nothingness as she keeps her breathing in check.  "P-Please..." She stuttered as desperation crawled out of her words and  fear puts a rope around her heart, chaining it in place.

Please what? What was she begging for? What does she even want? Does she want her family to come? Does she want the creepy person gone? Does she want Mr. Romeo to come back? What does she even want?

Tears fell as the lights started flickering again and the rain that loudly cascaded down the ground never ceased its loudness. Thunder roared, echoing. 

The man dragged something, something heavy, something with steel, creating a high pitched sound.

The man was sobbing outside of the door, scraping the door with his fingernails, creating a scratching sound. Isabella doesn't know. She could barely hear anything anymore with how her ears were ringing and how her heart was drumming frantically against her chest.

"Knock, knock." He uttered after a while, the scratching on the door was suddenly gone and he stopped crying. His voice was still croaky and low which still gave Isabella a chill down her spine.

Isabella doesn't know whether she should answer or not. She could hear Lucius' words echoing in the back of her head saying that she should act smart. Be smart.

He chuckled, so lowly, so tiredly. "Y-You're supposed to say 'who's there.' P-Please say it. Say it for me like a good little girl that you are."

Isabella didn't utter a word. She didn't even make a peep when he banged at the door, hooting in maniac laughter. "Say who's fucking there or else I'm going to... To not be y-your friend anymore. And you don't want that, right, B-Bella? We don't wanna cause a scene, right? 'Cause we're good children. And I want a friend." He then said something in quieter voice: "I've been so alone, so lonely."

Isabella flinched at his words. She shakily opened her mouth with hesitation before saying the words that he wanted to hear.

"Who's there?" She asked quietly, so innocently. She didn't stutter but she could hear the trepidation in her own voice. And the little girl didn't like it.

"Kill."

Isabella's breath hitched and she was suddenly feeling so out of breath with that one word. Still, not wanting to face the wrath of her killer, she decided to continue to play his game.

"K-Kill who?"

The little girl waited in agitation as she looks at the door as if it was going to break down at any second. It could be a possibility. Isabella doesn't even know how the man came into the motel room in silence. It was a surprise that he entered without making any ruckus. He could do it again if he wanted to.

Isabella doesn't like how the man knows that he could play with her like this. The stranger was messing with her. He could open the door if he wanted to but he was obviously preferring to play with her fear like it's his lifeless marionette.

He snorted and came the silence once again.

Isabella had a bad feeling immediately. She stood up abruptly and slowly backed away from the door. The flickering light stopped. It was as if time was frozen and the only one who could move was Isabella.