Fly

I watched Chloe run under the table and out the door, her clothes thumping to the floor. Danny picked up her clothes and sighed shaking his head.

I returned my gaze to the doorway, feeling slightly bad for her. I guess the king hasn't sounded very fond of her, the door wasn't the same one we entered through. I wonder where it leads to.

"Maya, come." Ushered Danny, turning my attention to him I could see frustration on his face by the way he raised his eyebrows. His sharp blue eyes looking slightly past me, over the verandah.

"Hurry off the balcony. I want to close the doors" he ordered, no real emotion to his voice. I looked around me in confusion, what's a balcony? Is it the word for this verandah thing? "Well?" He questioned, seeming confused by my lack of action.

"Is this a balcony?" I asked quietly, he paused, giving me a real wierd look, as if I'd said something stupid. I crossed my arms and moved away from the area.

"You. Don't know what a balcony is? I know the letter said you'd never left your temple, but I didn't know you were this ignorant" snorted Danny, losing his dullness to burst into held back chuckles, as if he were trying to stop himself.

"I don't get it. Is it a balcony?" I asked, feeling dumb now. This must be one of those things everyone knows.

"Yes Maya, that's a balcony. Anyway, I have work to do" he finally said, finishing composing himself, losing his momentary happiness. Back to being dull and emotionless.

I guess anyone looks nicer when they're laughing like that.

I looked away and examined the table, through the door we had entered through, servants moved in. I watched them work with ease, clearing the table quickly.

Weight fell on my shoulders making me jump in surprise. I froze in place to startled to gather my scrambled thoughts.

"Maya. We're leaving" Danny reminded me, he spun me around to look at me, I stared at his chest before looking up to meet his eyes, hesitating at his chin.

Please don't be mad at me.

"Sorry" I mumbled, finally meeting his soft blue eyes. They didn't hold any of the anger or annoyance I was worried about. He's not mad?

"For what? Not knowing what a balcony is? It's hardly important knowledge. My kitty cat doesn't need to know the word for a balcony. Now let's go, I have some letters to write" he explained, Cupping my cheek and examining my face.

He let me go and walked towards a third door, I examined the room now, making sure there isn't another door that feels like materialising. Luckily there only seems to be 3 and the large table which dominates the room.

I followed Danny down a small and important looking hall, a red carpet lines the floor and frames line the beige painted walls. Various paintings of young princes and princesses filled the frames.

He opened a fancy door, elegantly carved with a golden door handle, freshly shining as if it's never been touched. It swung open soundlessly to a large room. I entered in slight awe, this is the fanciest room so far.

A large desk covered in papers waited near a large window. The red carpet followed us into the room and spilt out on the floor neatly. It didn't completely cover the floor, instead it fell short at the edges, leaving dark brown wood to glimmer in the sunlight in front of a second large window.

This one didn't hold a balcony, but the shining sun was warm and inviting. I glanced over at Danny who sat in a chair at the desk.

"Do whatever, it's a big room, so there's no way you'll be out of sight" he explained, that isn't what I like to hear. I like being out of sight.