25| Juicy

I'm still trying to process when Tyler walks over. He's so happy for us both that he picks me up and spins me around before setting me on my feet. As he lowers me, there's a moment where our noses brush, and he breaks into a wonderful grin.

"I knew you'd do it," he says.

His praise is like music to my ears. I suck in a breath, my heart now beating about a mile a minute. Maybe it's the adrenaline still pumping in my veins, or the fact that he's never looked as good as right now, but I'm suddenly compelled to lean closer.

"Roxy!"

We break apart guiltily. Vanessa and Niko come running over with expressions of pure joy. "You were amazing!" Vanessa says as she throws her arms around me. Niko does the same, trapping me into a human burrito. When I pull back a little, Tyler is gone.

"I'm just glad it's over," I say. "I think I'm going to have my work cut out for me when it comes to the tournament." I haven't been able to stop obsessing since the thought first crossed my mind. I'd barely even made it into the top ten of my circuit. How will I fare in the tournament?

"Oh, c'mon, Rox," Vanessa says. "You were incredible out there. Enjoy the moment."

Maybe she's right, but it's hard not to feel disappointed. While I hadn't expected to come first in the circuit, I'd assumed I'd fare better than seventh.

"I was almost last," I say, "and that was me giving my absolute all." What makes it even worse is that if I'd been able to compete in the evening circuits, I'd have probably done better.

"Hey," Niko says, touching my arm, "pretend for a moment that I was the ridiculously hot racer who'd just competed. What would you say to me?"

I hesitate, and then, "That you did amazing out there."

"Exactly," he says, "so why are you being so hard on yourself?"

He's right, I suppose, which is why I don't argue. Instead, I look past him, into the distance. Tyler is mid conversation with his dad, but he doesn't look happy. His arms are folded, his jaw clenched tight into a hard narrow line, like he's being given a lecture. My heart drops, because Alex is right. Despite the fact Tyler came second in his circuit, it doesn't seem good enough. 

"Anyway, we're going to Niko's tonight for a celebratory sleepover," Vanessa says.

With my thighs now the consistency of jello, I'm eager to get home and have a bath. "As much as I'd love to sleepover at the devil's house, I can't. I'm grounded."

Niko frowns. "If Sam's the devil, what does that make me?"

"Adopted," Vanessa says.

He rolls his eyes and says to me, "You're seriously still grounded?"

I don't blame him for sounding surprised – I'm probably the only nearly eighteen year old who still gets grounded by her parents. "Yep."

"Just work your magic," Niko says as we head back up the patio. "I have faith in you."

As soon as we reach the top step, Alex is throwing her arms around me. I hug her back, for some reason needing her approval more than anything. If anyone knows what it means to qualify, it's her.

Beside me, Niko grows bashful. "Hey," he says when she finally pulls back. "Nice to eat you. See you. Nice to see you." His cheeks burn red, and the rest of us share this horrified look before he manically laughs it off.

"Uh, you too," she says swiftly, then turns back to me. "I'll see you later."

Niko opens his mouth to speak but she's already off, hurrying to serve another table. I give him a sympathetic pat on the shoulder, say goodbye, and head out back to change.