6. The Zimmers

* * * * * * *

Natalia just stared blankly. All her plans seemed to be insignificant with the fact about her father.

Without hearing a reply, Jake went on.

"He kept it from us. I just happened to know about it when I was running late for work earlier and saw the family doctor sneaking in with one of dad's personal guards. I cornered Doctor Jung after he was done checking up our father and threatened him. It took a while before he gave in and told me about dad's real condition...."

"Brain cancer on its last stage." Jake told her everything, breaking his voice at the end.

"Dad tried the treatments in the first year but his body cannot bear it. Then he decided to live his life like nothing's wrong. Doctor Jung has been visiting him every month for the past year."

"How long?" Natalia unconsciously asked. She couldn't accept it.

"Until this year or sooner. Nobody knows." Her brother said in a hoarse voice.

Natalia clutched her heart. It was as if the same feelings crept back to her all at once. The feelings when she miscarried. She refused to believe the news. She refused to give up.

Jake, together with Natalia, drove back to the Zimmer estate. No one spoke on the ride. No music or radio.

Natalia walked straight to her father's study and saw him standing like waiting for something or someone.

She simply hugged him. She wanted to say she's sorry for being a stubborn child and didn't fulfill his wish to help manage their company. She wanted to apologize for her deceitful heart which at the end caused her pain, extending it to her father. She wanted to make him proud; wanted to see him retire and enjoy life; wanted to see him happy and play with his future grandkids.

She just not only wanted those things but needed to.

'I need you, dad.'

Every tear that fell from her eyes says it all.

"It's alright my little monster..." Daniel said as his body involuntarily fell.

* * * * * * *

A month has gone by.

Daniel was lying on his bed at the Zimmer estate with tubes attached to his body. Daniel's powerful visage decreased over time. He's still in a coma.

Jake completely took over the company and Natalia on the other hand, stayed beside her father. They seek professionals and well-known experts for lots of opinions. Anything that can change their father's situation, any special medication and even drugs from the black market will do. Anything. Something.

The process took a toll on the family. They've spent a lot of their savings for their father. Not that they mind it. They really don't. Natalia was doing the household budgeting.

Apart from the medical expenses, they also need to address the monthly household utility bills, the wages of their workers at the huge Estate along with the whole property maintenance and monthly government taxes and the Zimmer family's financial pledges to various non-for-profit organizations. She needed to cut off some costs to support their father's bill and needed to think about additional sources of income. As per calculation, they can keep up for a couple of months. Hopefully by that time, they can receive a miracle for her father's state.

On the other hand, Jake lost some weight due to working hard day and night as the news about Daniel broke out to the business world. Many competitors advanced before them and paved their way at Zimmer company's expense. Their employees became worried about the continuation of the business. Jake had reassured them that the company is still in great shape and no one will leave or be forced to retire.

For the next few months, Jake will also need to meet their foreign investors to fortify the relationships and show that their company will continue for a long time. However, the shareholders were expressing desire to have a new management for the company's sake as their stock value decreased by a little percentage. Decreasing by even one percent means millions in their field.

Seeing and knowing all of these, Natalia came to her senses. She won't let her brother carry the burden alone anymore. She hired two personal nurses for her father because she will assist Jake at the company.

Grateful for her trusted friends, her mental state was still good. Luna and Trish together with Ziv didn't let a day or a week pass by without visiting or talking with her.

"I like it!" Luna commented after hearing Natalia's plan.

"Hmmm." Trish just hummed.

"You go girl! We're here for you as always. " Ziv cheered her via teleconference.

* * * * * * *

Zimmer Company - Shareholders' meeting

"Mr. Zimmer, what we're telling you will be a great help to this company. Having a new management can bring new hope and a vigorous standing." One of the shareholders spoke not minding how he addressed Jake. Some nodded to his suggestion.

"Why do we need a new one, when you have us?" A woman in a red coat and red formal trousers entered the room and gracefully walked towards the front standing beside her brother. Her eyes glared at the person who spoke earlier. Everyone was surprised at her action if not at her firm statement.

"My brother is a very capable man trained personally by your former president. As you all know, he had been working himself tirelessly to save this company and serve each one of you. All of you who are just sitting by the sidelines, eating heartily and sleeping comfortably at night, didn't you consider these things?" Natalia said coldly and confidently. In a haste, she made their mouths zipped.

'Wolves'.

"And besides, the board has spoken. No need for a new president." She threw a copy of the board resolution at the table as she squeezed her brother's shoulder. Natalia convinced her brother yesterday to call an emergency board meeting and to her relief, most of the members showed up. This shows that they still have faith in Jake's capability.

Jake looked at her thoughtfully and squeezed back the hand that was holding him. With the document right at their faces, no one dared to question her brother's position and management anymore.

All of them stared at the Zimmer siblings. Their eyes lingered at Natalia as if questioning her presence at the meeting.

"Oh. I forgot to introduce myself. Natalia Zimmer. Just like you, I'm now a shareholder. Thanks to my father." She said with sarcasm then sat down near Jake.

"Now..where were we?" She added, waiting for the next presenter.

YSABELLE M. | 2021

Please share and vote. Enjoy! :)