Heated

Harper

I walked upstairs to my room and went into my bathroom. Staring at myself in the mirror, I let out a heavy sigh and leaned against the counter, thinking about today's events.

The 'double date' at the diner.

Sunset watching with Ace.

The fight.

How worried I was for him. It never crossed my mind much but I don't know why I'm so worried about him. Sure we were friends but I was worried to the point I felt sick.

It felt completely and utterly heartbreaking to think about what could've happened to him.

All these 'what if's' crowded my mind. He could've lost his life, and for what? A stupid fight. And worst of all, he didn't even care that his life was on the line.

It didn't hurt at all that when Ripper guy got shot, he hurt Ace, but it hurt when I watched Ace get beat up and pushed around. It absolutely terrified me.

It hurt when the crowd cheered every time he fell and when people were placing bets on him as if it was some kind of sports match.

Though, I guess that's what it was. But it hurt the most that people treated him like he wasn't human. It made my blood boil.

I shut out those thoughts and washed my hands then rinsed my face and patted it dry with a towel.

I picked up his clothes and changed into them quickly, but I kept on his chain. I grabbed my phone and checked my messages, hoping he texted me but to my request of giving me time and space, he didn't.

I already regretted telling him that.

It just really scared me earlier. I've never felt that way about anyone before. I don't know what I would've done if he didn't make it. Well obviously I would be crushed but I've only known him for such a short amount of time and I'm already gaining all these feelings towards him.

I have to keep reminding myself that he's okay, he won, he made it. It's over now.

I should call him.

Or maybe I should give him space.

Overthinking is a bitch.

I slapped my hand over my forehead and rubbed my temple frustratedly.

I sat down on my bed and pulled my blankets close to me, wrapping myself in them and scrolled through my phone.

I clicked Ace's contact and my finger lingered above the screen, hesitating to press call.

I laid down and stared at it.

My eyes started closing because of how exhausted I was. I kept fighting to stay awake.

It didn't work.

They shut completely, allowing my mind and myself to drift off into darkness before I got the chance to call him.

****

My phone rang loudly, making me wake up from my sleep. I rubbed my eyes and sat up.

The stupid device fell off of my bed and I realized that I fell asleep holding it. Idiot.

I groaned and picked it up. The ringing stopped then started again. Looking at the contact number, my heart skipped a beat as Ace's name flashed on the screen.

I pressed accept but was disappointed when it wasn't his voice.

"Harper." they said, like really loud because they were yelling over music. They're at a club.