25. Imprinting Is No Better

Damon took Bella in the truck while Jacob and Lizzie went home on one of the bikes he and Bella fixed up while she was away

Damon took Bella in the truck while Jacob and Lizzie went home on one of the bikes he and Bella fixed up while she was away. Lizzie clung to him listening to Jacob's heartbeat as they sped through town before finally pulling up to the Swan driveway. Bella was still waiting for them outside when they arrived.

"So... you're a werewolf?" Bella broke the awkward silence between the three.

"Yeah, last time I checked," Jake nodded. "A few lucky members of the tribe have the gene. If a new vamp moves into town, the fever sets in."

"Mono?" Bella asked.

"Yeah, I wish."

"Did my family cause this?" Lizzie asked, already feeling guilty in case this was her fault.

"No, I don't think so," Jake shook his head. "A bunch of us didn't start turning till you guys left. You're probably responsible for Sam's turning, though."

"Can we maybe not tell Leah that? I don't really want to be the reason why my best friend's boyfriend dumped her... especially Leah."

Jacob chuckled. "Secret's safe with me."

"You can't find a way to stop?" Bella asked feeling like she was the only one seeing the problem. "I mean, it's wrong."

"No more wrong than being alive when you're actually dead, Bells," Lizzie commented.

She had no idea why Bella was being so against werewolves when she was literally hung up on a vampire. Two of her cousins were vampires and before that, they were supernatural hunters. So, what was the problem?

"It's not a lifestyle choice, Bella. I was born this way, I can't help it. You're being such a hypocrite. Are we not the right kind of monster for you?" Jake's voice was raising slightly.

"It's not what you are. It's what you do. They never hurt anybody. You've killed people, Jake," Bella said.

"Killing people? What?" Lizzie glanced between the two. "Jake, what the hell is going on in Forks?"

"We're not killing anybody," Jacob assured the two girls. He hated that Bella put him in this situation.

"Then, who is?"

"What we're trying to protect people from. The only thing we do kill... "

"Us," Lizzie said in realization. Jacob refused to look at her at that moment. It was the truth he didn't want to admit to in front of Lizzie. But she wouldn't let him, gently taking his hand in hers if not to comfort him but to comfort herself instead. Hesitantly, Jake looked at Lizzie giving her hand a small squeeze.

But Bella obviously wasn't done. "What?! Wait, Jake, you can't."

"Not the Cullens, unless they violate the treaty."

"No, that's not what I'm saying. You can't kill vampires, they'll... they'll kill you," Bella warned her friend.

"Just be careful, Jake," Lizzie whispered.