Chapter 65

It didn't go unnoticed by Jenna that James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter were missing from the Gryffindor party that night, even though she was having the time of her life with her own friends, celebrating the big victory.

Although what was weirder to her was the fact that Remus failed to show up to class the following morning once again, and James, Sirius, and Peter were acting extremely strange. They were quieter than usual in class and caused no trouble at all. Instead, the three of them would huddle around in between classes and during breaks, whispering to each other in hushed tones, looking distressed.

Jenna tried not to pay much attention to it, the daze of winning her first Quidditch game still lingering with her. Even Professor McGonagall gave her a proud smile during their Transfiguration lesson, which made Jenna want to squeal in happiness.

Although the match was completely forgotten for James, Sirius, and Peter. They were all still in a state of shock as the day commenced as before. They tried going through the facts again and again.

Sirius took out his Astronomy book to look over the lunar charts once more to check the calendar for the full moons, hoping to find a loop hole somewhere in between the pages that could prove their theory wrong.

James, who was the best at Defense Against the Dark Arts, paid a visit to the library that day while Remus was still missing, in search for a book about dark creatures, just to make sure. But there was no space for doubt. All the facts were right in front of their eyes, unavoidable.

That day after their classes were all finished in the late afternoon, the three Gryffindor boys left the Charms' classroom, making their way toward the common room and up to their dorm. When they opened the door to the room, they saw Remus sitting on his bed with his back leaned against the headboard as he held a book in hand, reading through.

At their sight, Remus lifted his head to look at them from over his book, a tired smile on his lips. "Hi, guys."

The dark circles underneath his eyes were more noticeable than ever before, and they could almost see a new scratch mark across his neck. Although it was a bit faded, as though someone had tried to heal it carefully.

James tried to force a casual smile, breaking the heavy silence. "Hello, Remus."

Sirius and Peter glanced sideways at each other as the three of them walked into the dorm, closing the door behind them.

"So how was your mother feeling, Remus?" Sirius asked, dropping his bag down at the end of his bed. "I assume you went to visit her again last night while you were missing?"

"Yeah. I received an owl from my dad, saying that she's fallen ill again," said Remus, his eyes fixed on his book without moving through the lines.

"Aha..." James nodded unconvincingly, leaning against the wall beside the window as he glanced at Remus's direction. "And what is her illness? I mean, it has to be a bad one, seeing as the Healers haven't found a permanent cure for it yet."

"My mum's a Muggle. Wizarding Healers couldn't detect it," Remus replied coldly, his heart racing as he tried to keep a fixed face.

"Well, I've got another question," said Sirius casually, taking off his black cloak and tossing it on his bed, "is there a specific date for when you have to visit your mother once a month?"

Remus closed his book shut, getting up from the bed all of a sudden. "I'm going to take a shower. It's been a long day."

But just as he was about to enter their shared bathroom inside the dorm, James quickly paced forward and blocked his way, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Remus, do we look like idiots to you?" James said crossly.

"Honestly? Yes, most of the times." Remus nodded wittily.

"Enough already! I'm tired of this game!" Sirius huffed, before turning to face Remus sharply. "We know where you go each month."

Remus went pale, his heart sinking.

"Wh-what are you talking about?" he asked, trying to control his voice from coming out as a stammer, yet failing miserably.

      This can't be happening... he thought to himself with trembling lips.

"We saw you last night, Remus," said Peter, and James and Sirius nodded. "We saw you leave the castle with Madam Pomfrey, so we followed you two and saw you get into the Whomping Willow with her."

"Awesome trick, by the way." Sirius smirked. "That little knot underneath the tree... it froze the whole thing."

Remus felt his mouth going dry. He searched his mind for the right words, anything that could be a good enough excuse to get him out of this mess. But it was pointless. He had forgotten how to breathe properly. They had really seen him enter the Whomping Willow.

"We know what you are, Remus," said James in a quiet voice.

No... no... they can't know... they're bluffing... Remus thought to himself in terror, his heart pounding mercilessly against his chest.

James lowered his voice as he said the next words, his eyes locked with Remus's. "We know you're a werewolf."

Remus shook his head slowly, taking a step back and away from them. "No... no..."

"Look, it's okay —" Sirius started to say, but Remus had already turned around and ran out of the dorm without a warning.

With a look at each other, James, Sirius, and Peter ran after him, but they lost sight of him the moment he left the common room.