XCV. FALLEN SOLDIERS

FALLEN SOLDIERS!

FEBRUARY 1981

• • • •

Silence filled Hollyhock Cottage, the only noise occasionally coming from one of the children's bedrooms.

Walking into their shared bedroom, Holland leaned against the doorframe, watching her fiancé, who was sat on the edge of the bed, staring down at the picture in his hands.

"It was a lovely service." Holland said, sitting next to Remus, who glanced up at her.

"Yeah." He muttered in agreement, looking back down of the picture of him and his mother.

"Remus-"

"Why is everyone we love leaving us?" The boy asked, "My mum, Mary, Dorcas, the Prewitt twins," He listed off, "This war is tearing us all apart."

Holland let out a sigh, resting her head on Remus' shoulder as he took her hand in his own.

"I remember something Mary told me. Back when we were at Hogwarts and Death Eaters were killing Muggle-borns and their families."

"Oh yeah."

"This war may be scaring us, but we have to stay strong. Otherwise we'll all crumble." She whispered.

"I just don't want to lose you," Remus told her, his voice cracking, "Especially not to some Order mission."

Holland ran her thumb over the back of his hand, "I don't want to lose you either. But we need to remember who we're fighting this war for. We're fighting this war so that our children can love a happy life. So that neither Reg, Nora, Harry, Otto, Willow, Neville or anyone have to live with the constant fear of Death Eaters. We're fighting in memory of Mary, Dorcas, the Prewitts, Regulus, Hope and so many more people who have died, whether it was to this war or not. I'm fighting this war for you."

Remus looked at the woman he loved, tears falling, "I love you, Holly. So much."

Holland gave him a small smile, before bringing him into a warm, loving hug, "I love you, too, Remy. So much."

***

"And how are you feeling?" Margaret asked her best friend, as they sat in the dining room of the Hufflepuff's home, cups of tea in front of them.

"What?" Holland asked.

"You've been so busy caring for everyone else and making sure that they're alright that you haven't been able to say how you've been feeling." Margaret told her.

The Irish girl let out a sigh, playing with her fingers, "I don't know," She admitted, tears starting to fall, "I don't even know how I'm meant to feel. Scared? Sad? Worried?"

Margaret reached forward, hugging her friend, "You're allowed to feel of the above." She said softly as she pulled away.

"And what about you?" Holland whispered, wiping away some of her tears.

"What about me?"

"Maggie," Holland said, gently, taking her best friend's hand in her own, "The attack on your family's house the other day. I know you're acting stronger than you're feeling. You're not the only one who focuses more on how others are doing and not caring about yourself."

Tears now filled Margaret's eyes, "It's so lucky they're on holiday." She sobbed.

"Oh, Maggie." Holland cooed, bringing the younger girl back into a hug.

"I'm so scared, Holly," Margaret sniffled, "This war. It's only getting worse."

"I know, Maggie, I know," Holland muttered, "I'm scared too. But we'll get through it, okay?"

Margaret pulled away, linking holding out her pinky finger, "Together?"

Holland sent her a smile, linking their pinkies, "Together."