Chapter 57

Day: 667

Days Left: 4813

Lives Saved: 3

Oscar stepped forward as his mask let out a bright light from its activation. His body shrunk shorter then widened.

The golden knight stared at Oscar, eager to meet her new sparing opponent, anticipating the battle that they would share, wondering what form his mask would change him into; But her interest and excitement quickly dwindled as there before her was a giant mushroom, reaching to the height of five feet.

It was a red toadstool with speckles of white on its cap, a set of pin-prick black eyes on its stem, and a pair of blobby arms and legs sprouting out of it.

Sumit watched as Oscar, the mushroom-monster, charged at the golden knight. He lowered his head and bit his lip, trying not to burst out laughing whilst also ashamed that he had to rely on a mushroom to save him as he couldn't do anything himself with his injury.

After a slight hesitation, Clarence also rushed into the fight. But, so accustomed to fighting against slow opponents, the golden knight was almost caught off guard as the small velociraptor darted around the battlefield and tried to bite and claw at her legs. Though she was able to evade, the raptor came very close, aided by the fact that the golden knight was now fighting against four opponents, with Rin threatening her with arrows if she ever allowed an opening to exist.

Together, the minotaur, the goblin, the velociraptor, and the toadstool forced the golden knight to retreat from the rest of Dex's body. Though none of them had yet to land an attack, they regained a sense of confidence with their numbers increased. The golden knight was given little opportunity to attack any of them as they released a relentless assault of attacks. However, Calanthe and Kai were getting slower and tired, exhausted whilst the golden knight showed absolutely no signs of fatigue and instead seemed invigorated by more foes.

Eventually, the golden knight had been pushed back far enough away from Dex's body. Sumit stumbled up but then collapsed back down to the ground, wheezing and groaning from the pain. He clutched the wound on his stomach. "I'm sorry, Dex," Sumit mumbled to the severed head inside the helmet. "I don't think I can get over there."

"It's okay," replied Dex. "Don't push yourself."

"Rin!" Sumit called out to the young archer.

Rin glanced back at him and nodded.

"Heads up!" Sumit rose back onto his feet temporarily, enduring the pain, then raised his arm the helmet.

"Huh?" said Dex. "Wait- No! No! Don't you fucking-"

Sumit threw the helmet through the air, Dex's severed heard screaming and cursing Sumit from inside it. Rin caught it, then ran over to the horse and headless knight lying motionless on the ground.

The golden knight's attention was now drawn over to Rin and Dex. With a flourish of her spear, she knocked her four opponents out of the way, then darted towards Rin.

"Shit!" Rin sprinted the last metres to the headless horseman's collapsed body and skidded to the ground. She fumbled with the helmet, her eyes darting to the charging and approaching golden knight.

"Rin!" Kai ran in pursuit after the golden knight along with Calanthe, Oscar, and Clarence.

As the golden knight ran, one of her legs stumbled, now sluggish and somehow exhausted. She looked down and saw that small red and white speckles toadstools grew on her foot and spread up her leg. It was the same leg she had kicked the mushroom monster with. With a swipe of her hand, the golden knight scraped the spawning fungi off her leg.