Twenty Nine

Jake POV.
•••

   We all turn and look at Blair, waiting to see what she would say. Her smile has fallen and she looks as if she's seen a ghost. She clearly doesn't want to answer.

   And I don't want her to. Please, don't answer. I want to say to her. But I can't, because then I would look like an asshole. I can't get in Grayson's way.

   "I'm bored of  playing this game." Blake laughs standing up. He looks at me and I send him a grateful smile. I think he knew I didn't want to hear it and that Blair didn't want to say it.

   "Yea," Noah stands up. "It's late and we have to leave tomorrow. We should call it a night." Everyone else nods and stands up, everyone but Grayson.

   He takes another swig of his beer and stays seated. The girls walk up stairs, and I nod to the guys to go up.

I look down at the buy I said I hate. But I can't hate him, he's my little brother.

   I sigh and sit next to him. He sighs and passes me a beer. "Do you love her?" I ask.

   He looks up, "Yea."

   "Why do you think that?"

   He looks at me confused. "What?"

   "Why do you think you love her?" I ask again,  looking up at the ceiling.

   "We had fun, she was there when I needed her to be..." That's what she said about him. If I knew her then, I would of been there. "I don't know what else you want me to tell you."

   "But did you miss her?"

   "What?" At this point, I don't even know what I'm asking.

   "Did you miss her, throughout the day, during those nights where you just lay and do nothing, without anyone bringing her up, did you even think about her?"

   "Yea, all the time." I should stop asking, his answers aren't making me feel any better.

   "And what about Ashlyn? If she came back in the picture, what would you do?"

   He sighs, "It's been over between us for awhile. She doesn't want to get back together, and I don't." He laughs, "She told me she wasn't the one for me, and that even though she loved me, she couldn't be her. I asked her who her was, and she said Blair. She said I changed since her, that I needed to figure myself out. And I did. I realize that I loved her. Tried texting her, calling her, she never answered."

   Call me an asshole, but I almost laughed. I remember laughing my ass off when Blake told me Blair had blocked him. Was it my place to tell him? I don't know, so I'm not going to.

   He goes on, "But yea, I'm crazy about her. To the point that she makes me crazy."

   "Ok," I sigh. "Then I'm fine with her choice."

   "What?" He asks confused.

   "If she picks you, I'm fine with it. I'll be jealous as hell, but I'll be happy for her. If you're her choice I'll be happy for the both of you. I won't, get in the way or anything. I can't keep fighting with you. Even over a girl as special as her, you're my brother."

   "Thanks." He says before taking another swig. I shove his shoulder lightly with mine.

   "Aren't you going to say it back?" I joke.

   "Say what back?"

   "That you would be fine with her choice being me."

   He snorts, "I wouldn't be. I'd be pissed, jealous, sad, but I won't try to change her mind. After all, you are my brother."

•••