Chapter 16: Tree House

I was staring blankly on the way home. We were in the backseat of a car while an order drive us back to the apothecary. Hindi pa tapos ang birthday party ni Vincent but it was ruined by the incident between Callahan, Zackary and I. We were advised to leave to deescalate the situation.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, hands on top of each other, brushing my knuckles in an anxious manner. "Nasira ang party... hindi ko sinasadya..."

"No, no!" Anabeth clasped a hand over my shoulder. "It's not your fault that Callahan, that son of a bitch, is a monster. Kung ako lang ang nakakita ng nangyari, baka hindi lang suntok ang nagawa ko sa kanya. Those kitchen knives will be put to good use."

I glanced at Anabeth before I returned my gaze to the road ahead. Bumalik sa'kin ang tinginan ng mga elders sa living room, ang usapan nila.

"What were they fighting about?"

"It's that girl!"

Nakabalik kami sa apothecary at nasalubong si Senior Violeta sa main house, nagtataka. "You're back early."

I dropped my gaze to the floor, unable to answer. It was Sir Sebastian who asked us to leave first and let him manage the conflict between the two.

Tahimik parin ako pagdating sa aking kwarto. Hindi ako maiwanan ni Anabeth. She lingered at the doorway, watching me. "Eleanor, are you okay?"

"I caused harm to Zackary," I mumbled. "What if they think different of him because he's siding with me?" I absentmindedly brushed my palm over my dress. "Would it affect him?"

Humakbang palapit si Anabeth, sighing deeply. "You didn't cause anyone harm. It's the right thing to do with people like Callahan who treat other people as things."

Umupo si Anabeth sa tabi ko. "I'm sorry for everything you've been through. Twenty years is a long time to suffer. So please let people protect you. We may not deserve the world in its cruel form but we deserve someone on our side."

That night, Anabeth made both of us chamomile tea to calm. Pero hindi ko pa ito nagagalaw and the white teacup turned cold on my bedside table.

Pinagmasdan ko ang madilim na langit mula sa bintana. Maagang lumabas ang mga bituin na kumikislap sa langit. The garden flowers look blue under the moonlight. The artist who once owned me told me before she died...

"Someday, you will find people who are willing to stay by your side and you will no longer be alone. So until that day comes, do your best to stay alive."

But what I didn't realize is staying by my side comes with pain.

Days later at the breakfast hall, Anabeth mentioned about her visit to the mansion for Zanra's medicines. "Do you wanna come with me?" alok niya sa'kin.

Umiling ako habang nagpapahid ng raspberry jam sa toast. I was honestly ashamed to face any member of the Van Zanth. It's probably safer for everyone if someone like me would keep my distance from them. I couldn't burden Zackary to protect me all the time.

By afternoon, matapos sunduin si Anabeth sa apothecary, nagtungo ako sa greenhouse where I planned to spend the rest of my day to check on the new buds and to re-plot some seedling with my small shovel and my garden gloves.

I walked to the huge glass structure at the side of the property, glimmering under the afternoon sun. It was a greenhouse fit for a mansion, occupying half of the garden and with an entire ecosystem inside.

Walking to the side of the pond where they keep the water plants and lilies, I stared up at the tree branches and leaves reaching the tall glass ceiling. Tahimik ang paligid except for my shovel digging dirt and everything smells earthy and green.