41

EVIE

I could feel the vibration of my phone go off every few seconds against my leg. I held onto it tightly, hoping that by some mere miracle, my older and a bit shy of hearing professor would not catch on. 

Dallas gave me a side eye glance, a ghost of a smirk present across her pink stained lips. I gave her an eye roll to express my annoyance towards the constant string of incoming text messages. I didn’t have to look to know that it wasn’t Niall - he had a friend over and were off for lunch. I wouldn’t have been annoyed if it was him. It was my overbearing and quite frankly nosy best friend. 

I glanced down at the screen to see Presley’s name with the number thirteen in brackets placed right beside it. I didn’t know what it was that she was texting me profusely about, but whatever it was, she could stop. 

“The boyfriend?” Dallas whispered, motioning towards my clenched fist. 

“I wish... no, best friend,” I whispered back in reply. She hummed a sound that resembled an understanding and turned back to our daft prof. 

The time ticked on by. Soon enough my phone went quiet and I was able to actually take in the last bit of my class. After a little while longer, we were dismissed for the afternoon. I packed up my notebook and pens, throwing them carelessly inside my rucksack. Sliding my finger across the screen of my phone, I scrolled through the pointless spam that Presley had sent. 

Dinner tonight with the girls? We miss you. 

We’re thinking Mediterranean... there’s a hot waiter you have to see.

Unless you have to be with your boyfrieennnd... 

In that case more Greek men for me! 

I rolled my eyes to myself, not even a bit surprised that this was what she had to say. From the way that my phone never shut up, I had half expected to read that someone was hit by a moving vehicle or that Brad Pitt decided to divorce Angelina and moved to Portland. Oh God - I would be so happy if that was the case! I would have ditched this lecture in a heartbeat and scavenged around the whole city with the girls in hunt for Mr. Pitt. 

Niall was already aware of my unhealthy obsession with a young Brad Pitt. He won’t even watch Benjamin Button with me because I drool every time he’s on the motorcycle. I mean really... how did the screenwriters even think that would be a good idea. It punctured my soul each time I watch that scene. Troy too... Oh dear Lord, take me now. 

Pulling my rucksack against my back, I pushed my phone into my back pocket. Dallas was leaning against the chair, her attention locked on her phone. 

“Ready to go?” She asked, putting her phone in her pocket and tucking a stray hair behind her ear. 

“Yeah,” I followed her down the steps and towards the exit. It was already March and the warm sun felt so good against my cheeks. I had missed the spring weather, and was more than thrilled for it to be making a reappearance. 

Dallas and I walked through the courtyard and onto the busy street where my car was parked. I unlocked the passenger door for her as I sat in the drivers. Dallas was having a party later this evening and asked if I wanted to join her. It had been a while since I’ve made other friends and thought I’d take her up on the opportunity. 

Dallas was spunky. She had this edge about her that was effortlessly cool. She was a bit rough around the edges but at the same time incredibly sweet. She had a warm smile and bright green eyes that made me feel automatically comfortable around her. We both happened to be early for class this afternoon, and sat beside each other. We talked until our professor came and hit it off right away. She wanted to be a journalist... had her eyes set on working for a fashion magazine.