7. Formidable Duo

If we're not together in the end,
I'll restrain myself from falling in love again.
If we're not together in the end,
Do I force my heart to stop loving you?

* * * * * * *

"They're still holding their grounds." A man informed his boss through a voice call.

"Those two don't know their place yet, particularly that girl." A woman can be heard on the other line.

"I need to come back to the meeting room. I will tell you about the rest once this is finished." The man ended the call and discreetly entered the hall where the shareholders' meeting was being held.

The woman was frustrated. Their chances of having the new Chairman of the board on their side were unsuccessful already. They need to find a way to manipulate the shareholders and management on their side.

-------

The meeting went on for another hour after Natalia showed up. Most of the present stockholders were surprised in a good way with the way the Zimmer siblings handled the pressures and effectively drafted solutions and other alternatives on how the company could cope up with the competition and the market.

Some of them, who first experienced the wild ideas of the two back in the days, were not that surprised and were satisfied with the siblings' methods. They forgot that they were once called the formidable duo.

Once the meeting was over, the whole company came to know what had transpired inside the meeting room. 

Seeing Jake and Natalia walking in the hallways, they radiated an authoritative presence. The stakeholders including the employees felt a sense of security. 

"Thank you, piglet." Jake said with a tired voice. They were now sitting inside his office which is situated at the top floor.

"It's what family does, brother. It would always be my pleasure. Now, why don't you take a few days off. I will handle these things for the time being." Natalia replied, looking at the files which spread over Jake's table. She pitied him but admired his determination. She needed her brother in full strength and in great condition that's why she needed to take over his responsibility even just for a few days.

When her brother didn't respond and just looked at her, she started to plead.

"Please. Dad will not be happy if I let you go on like this."

Her brother finally stood up and gave her an embrace of appreciation. Natalia patted his back to comfort him. It's only them against the world. 

"My assistant, John, will update you on everything you need to know and the meetings which were already set this week. Be good, sister." Jake reminded Natalia of her words and approached the door.

"Always." Natalia snickered at the familiar phrase. Her brother then went on his way.

Looking at her brother's fading back, she thought of the wasteful years she had. Natalia shook her head. She can't be bothered by it anymore. Her family needs her the most.

"John." She pressed the intercom to invite the assistant inside the office and let her day start.

* * * * * * *

For the next few days, Natalia became busy juggling between reviewing and approving documents, meetings in between, answering to the inquiries of other stakeholders and keeping in touch with the private nurses she hired for Daniel Zimmer.

They reported the same thing everyday to her about their father. No improvement. She sighed helplessly and silently prayed to Someone up there. 

'One chance.'

"Young madam, you're 2PM is here." The assistant informed Natalia through the intercom making her snapped back.

"Thanks John." She shortly replied.

Someone entered the doors but didn't say anything. It seemed the person waited for her to speak and be acknowledged.

Natalia looked over at the person and sneered inside.

'Oh come on.'

"Hello, Nat." The person greeted her.

"What brings you here, Ariel?" She asked amusingly. She didn't expect her dearest friend would come here. She thought a company representative from the Zippi family set up a meeting with his brother today.

"First, I wanted to apologize for any wrong thing I have done. Second, I'm here to lend a helping hand to the Zimmers. I can talk with my parents to invest more in this company." Ariel said in a sad tone. Her acting was on the spot. 

'First, lies. Second, I don't need to be indebted to you and your kind.' 

"It's alright, dear. You don't need to do that. We wouldn't want to be a burden to you. But thank you for being mindful." 

'Particularly with my so-called husband.'

Ariel looked conflicted as if she didn't expect Natalia to reject the offer. But at the end, she pretended to understand and hugged Natalia like a sister. 

'Barbie.' Natalia spoke in her mind.

Exiting the office, Ariel observed the surroundings. This is such a huge company and she's willing to be used by Victoria to help them gain the upper hand against the Zimmers. The plan on taking over the technology company. 

Her luck must be good as she saw a familiar middle-aged man that's approaching her,  coming off from the elevator. Mr. Genome, one of the investors of the Zimmers and the Zippi company. She plastered a gentle smile towards the man and greeted him. Her charm worked and the man noticed her. From what she remembered, this indecent man had his eyes on her as early as when she was a teenager. Truly, the bees are meant to be attracted to a beautiful flower. 

Ariel smiled widely.

* * * * * * *

Natalia was the last person to leave the building. She's waiting for Cal at the lobby when a night guard stationed at the reception area gave her a bouquet of red roses.

"Did you know who sent this?" She asked them out of curiosity because she didn't find any card on it.

"No Madam. It was delivered by a normal messenger." One of the guards answered.

"Alright. Thanks." She simply said.

Consumed by its beauty, she just noticed that her phone was ringing. It was an unregistered number. Nevertheless, she still answered.

[Hello---]

[Did you receive it?]

[Devon..how did you get this number?]

[Doesn't matter. Are you free tonight?]

[No.]

[Okay. I'll just drive you home then.]

[There's no need---]

Natalia wasn't able to finish her sentence when a man appeared at her line of vision.

"Shall we?" Devon ended the call right in front of her. He led the beautiful woman towards the main entrance.

YSABELLE M. | 2021

A/N: I've never intended to offend someone by the word 'barbie'. Please understand that this is for my story purposes only.