Chapter 65

Chapter 65

Songs for this chapter:
Affection – BETWEEN FRIENDS
Bad To Worse – Ra Ra Riot
Beige – Yoko Lore

HARRY'S P.O.V.:

"She's gonna kill you for this."

My eyes flitted in Morgan's direction, fingers idly stroking the armchair I was sat in. Her feet were propped up on the desk in front of us, the toes of her boots swaying back and forth to the song playing softly on the radio.

"Don't care," I mumbled. The gum in my mouth had gone stale and I rolled my eyes as I glanced at the clock, noting that we'd been in this fucking car dealership for over an hour now. "Rather she'd kill me than get herself killed driving around in something shitty."

"You know what I mean," Morgan shot back, reaching forward to grab a mint out of the bowl on the desk by her feet. "She's gonna kill you because you aren't even consulting her about this."

"I did consult her," I answered nonchalantly, picking a piece of lint off my shoulder with a shrug. "Quite a few times actually."

"Mm, and she willingly agreed?" Morgan popped up a brow, shooting me a half-grin.

For a moment, I said nothing, pondering over where the best place would be to break the news to Riv that I'd bought her a car against her better wishes and which atmosphere would incur the least hell thrown at me. Somewhere public would probably be best. Shifting in my seat, wincing against the image of her in my head so angry and annoyed, I quietly muttered, "Thank you, by the way." I turned to look at Morgan. "For helping me."

Morgan's smile widened. "Of course. Buying gifts is my specialty so what better way to spend my day than helping you pick out a car for your lovely little River who is most definitely going to beat your ass–"

"–It's for a good fuckin' cause–"

"I meant to ask," Morgan ignored my muttered interjection, blinking innocently at me. "How'd she like the drawing? Of Italy?"

Heat crept up my neck and I cleared my throat, glancing to the ceiling. "Right, yeah," I mumbled. "She liked it fine."

I'd called Morgan that night in a moment of weakness – at some point of time between after I'd drawn it and when I was hauling it to River's house, suddenly panicked that she was going to hate it or not ever want to hear from me again. As painful as it was, Morgan had been nice enough to soothe my nerves and reassure me that Riv was going to like it. She'd kept her teasing to a minimum and promised, after a number of different threats, not to tell anyone.

I had a sneaking suspicion though that she'd fucking told Zayn anyway, the two of them unable to hide their grins when I saw them the next day.

"You know," Morgan commented, lulling her head back against the chair. She looked over at me as I lifted up in my seat to grab my phone from my pocket, thumbing through it until I reached River's contact, debating for half a second on whether or not to text her. "It's very funny to see how you are around her," my companion beside me went on, "You–"

"Morgan," I warned, voice low in the back of my throat. My eyes were still on my phone screen, a message now typed up to Riv asking how her meeting was going. They'd moved to a restaurant, according to the text I'd gotten from security.

"What?" Morgan laughed, kicking her feet off the desk and turning to face me. "All I was going to say is that you play the boyfriend part surprisingly well."

"Fuck off."

"I will do no such thing," she chirped as I debated for another few seconds on sending the message, wondering briefly if it was weird to text her, before finally biting the bullet and pressing send. "It's very cute," she continued. "Zayn and I have been saying–"