Paranoid

Was that her imagination ?

That grey area between being awake and fully asleep, the moment when your mind usually plays tricks on you to make you believe you're falling down and makes your jerk awake.

What she heard... Was it her mind or did he say that out loud ?

Her mind was in a complete daze and even now that she was waking up to the brightness of the sun seeping through the window and washing over her, she was still confused, unsure of what happened those last few minutes before falling asleep.

Frantically looking around to find herself alone, she got out of bed so quickly that her dizziness almost made her fall face first.

Dizzy and naked were not a very good combination.

Yet her inquiries were resolved when upon approaching the door, she found a note hanging from the knob which read:

" I will be working in my office, take a shower and dress up, I brought you a uniform. "

Damn it, the fact that he was not there just created another hurdle to clear her doubt but perhaps if she found him alone in his office, she might get a chance to talk about it.

Rushing to the bathroom as she was told, (y/n) hurried to clean herself up, groaning to herself upon the grumbling of an empty stomach and whining at the stinging of soap getting into her eye.

The uniform seemed new but her exact same size, yet the fact that it was not torn in the places in which hers was, made it clear that this was not hers. After finally stepping into her boots and almost stumbling on her way to the door with a heartbeat as quick as a hummingbird's, she froze in place with a hand holding the knob. She heard other voices coming from the office area, was he in a meeting ? Fuck, she definitely couldn't step out of his room so nonchalantly now, condemned to wait inside until the voices were gone.

How much time did she wait ? An hour perhaps ? The shadow created by the sunlight moved enough for her to believe that it might have been more than an hour. This was maddening.

Laying back down in bed, her gaze was glued to the ceiling, reviewing over and over again the questions she wanted to ask him, being tickled by the hesitation and slight fear.

What if he didn't say anything and it had just been a product of her imagination ? Facing that reality by him explicitly denying it out loud would be too embarrassing for her to handle.

How could she possibly ask that without ridiculing herself ? Perhaps something along the lines of ' Did you say something last night before I fell asleep ? ' or ' I think I heard you saying something but I fell asleep, could you repeat that ? '.

The incessant chewing on her inner cheek out of nervousness was suddenly interrupted by the sound of the office door creaking open and then clicking shut and snapping into an upright sitting position she wondered if they were gone. What else could she do but to approach the door and lean closer to try and discern any noise coming out of it ? Vaguely hearing papers being shuffled around, she took the wild guess that he was finally alone.

Holding the doorknob, she began turning it as slowly as possible to try and avoid making noise just in case there was someone else in the room with him so she could peek through the crack of the door before stepping out. Through a centimetre of space she was able to find out that he was indeed by himself and with a sigh of relief, she finally stepped out.

" Why did you wait that long to come out ? "

" What do you mean ? You were having a meeting or something here, I couldn't come out. "

" Why not ? It's none of their business who I decide to share my bed with. "

Hold on, so she was completely paranoid hiding in the room for more than an hour to avoid people finding out about their relationship just for the sake of his reputation when it turns out he doesn't give a quarter of a fuck about it ? Way to go, (y/n) way to go.

" So you don't mind--- Well, we can talk about that later but I need to ask you about something. " And with these words her heartbeat skyrocketed again, finding a seat in the chair across from him, almost using the desk as a shield for him to not see how she was nervously fidgeting with her own fingers.

ווו×

Author's note: [gets ready to be chased by a mob with torches and pitchforks]