35 - *As The World Caves In Part 2*

Chapter 35 – As The World Caves In Part 2

"Hulkie! That is someone's kitchen, not a projectile! Put it down!" Ophelia yelled as she kicked one of the legionnaires' heads off like a football. 

"But bad guys!" Hulk complained as he held a collapsed apartment's kitchen above his head.

"Put it. Down!" Ophelia emphasised with wide eyes as she pointed to the ground.

With a loud huff, the Hulk obeyed her orders and set the misplaced kitchen on a slab of concrete.

"Now allez (let's go), I wanna see if we can throw the robots really far like in the cartoons." She nudged him with her elbow as she lightly jogged beside him; a faltering look appearing on her face as she slowed down and glanced at the surrounding area.

Ophelia didn't like acknowledging the worst moments of her life. Every wound was as red and raw as the first time they were inflicted. So, what was the point of focusing on the hurt when all it did was tear her apart on the inside?

As the fighting began to momentarily die down and the muffled cries of Sokovian citizens dominated the air; Ophelia's tunnel vision faded away.

The broken rubble was stained dark red from dried blood. The people were huddled desperately under any shelter they could find with the haunting look of acceptance on their faces.

The odd leg or arm was poking out of the rubble, pale and motionless against the dusty terrain. An unforgettable grave marker for the forgotten victims of this conflict.

When moments like these happened, when innocent people depended on her to save them. She let in the hurt, let in the searing agony of seeing the bodies and broken homes that could have been saved.

In the quiet moments before the next battle, Ophelia mourned for those that had been lost. She mourned for the lives they could have led if only she had saved them in time. And she held onto that sick feeling of failure so that the next time someone needed her, she wouldn't be too late to save them.

"I'm sorry." Ophelia softly spoke to the air, bowing her head for a moment of silence before the Hulk turned from ahead of her. His head tilted in confusion as he noticed a wet sheen covering her eyes.

"Okay?" He grunted with uncertainty as clouds of fog and dusty filled the air, taking away any visibility.

"I'll be alright big guy," Ophelia reassured, a wry smile on her lips as she patted the brute on the back. "Let's find the others."

Through the dust and clouds, Ophelia could just make out Steve as he shouldered the weight of an injured woman. Hulk leapt up to higher altitudes as the area became more packed with civilians.

"Stay safe big guy." She sighed before moving to stand beside an exhausted Steve.

"The next wave's gonna hit any minute. What have you got, Stark?" Steve spoke into his comms.