Chapter 59

Xander's POV:

The ballroom was full of people by the time I got there.

The scent of differing food and blood pervaded the air, weirdly mixing with the numerous scents of every human and vampire here.

That was all it took for me to shut off the advanced sense and make my way further into the dimly lit room to start searching for Nico the hard way.

I had walked here relatively slowly, enough to where I was about five minutes late.

Nico was usually late to these sorts of things, though with his newfound will to be here, I didn't know if that meant he'd actually be on time.

I continued my search regardless, weaving through the crowd of vampires and searching for his slightly taller figure which I can almost guarantee is going to be in black.

After circling my way through the entire half of the ballroom that the vampires kept to, I still couldn't find him.

I did, however, spot the other vampire I was looking out for tonight.

My stomach turned at the sight of her, remembering what happened the last time that I did.

That deep vampirism in me stirred but didn't awaken.

Thankfully.

She stood near the back wall, nervously scanning the crowd I was hidden in, and talking to the male vampire next to her.

Who I distinguished to be her brother, Lucien, quite quickly.

His hair gave him away. The silver strands were something I've only ever seen on him.

That and the dullness under his eyes that I've never seen him without being physical proof of the biological ailment they both suffered from.

But he got the worst of it.

I was actually surprised to even see him here at all.

It felt like he rarely if ever went out in public, but given the position he was in, I can imagine he was only here to support Layla.

His shoulders were pressed back against the wall, arms crossed as he listened to his sister's nervous ramble with hooded eyes.

I could guess as to why she was nervous. This ball was her responsibility after all.

One that I could only imagine she took just to appease Lord Bronwyn because he hated dealing with these sorts of things.

I debated trying to use my hearing to... eavesdrop but figured with the various conversations and music around me, I wouldn't be very successful if I tried.

I didn't want to risk getting closer, and they were just far enough away to where I couldn't read their lips.

Oh well, but maybe if he's here, that'll keep her away from me for some time.

That blissful thought was short-lived as Lucien pushed himself off of the wall, golden eyes that were brighter than hers rolling in his head at what she had said to him.

He set a hand on her shoulder, saying what I could only imagine being words of comfort by the steady relaxation in her posture.

They stayed like that for a few more seconds before he stepped back away from her, speaking a few more words before walking off.

Aaaand he was coming straight in my direction.

Great.

I took that as my cue to turn and head back to the front to continue my search for Nico.