65. Chaos

"Dammit," Kim Jaehyun staggered, he glared at the archer who was taking aim again, "Cerberus."

Understood.

Cerberus returned to his original form in an instant, he created a shield of flame and blocked the arrows before bending the knee to Kim Jaehyun.

Kim Jaehyun used one hand to mount Cerberus and then said, "let's go."

Cerberus quickly caught up to Lee Hyunjin and the others. Kim Jaehyun limply leaned against Cerberus.

Lee Hyunjin looked back at them momentarily but he didn't notice anything amiss so he kept running at that moment Kim Jaehyun said to Cerberus, "speak nothing of it."

"But master..."

"Thats an order," he breathed heavily and continued to speak, "it'll take a while for them to go around the forest and come to us so we can take a break for a bit and figure something out," Kim Jaehyun suddenly coughed, he brought his hand up to cover his mouth when he did and when he looked at his hand again, there was black blood on it.

He said rather quietly, "There's no cure for erosion. I used up a lot of my spirit so I can't push out the corruption...." as he spoke he looked down at his stomach where he could see the black arrow sticking out, he could feel the sizzling sharp pain that was already spreading up to his chest. The corruption.

"Master please stop talking."

Kim Jaehyun chuckled, "I'd think you'd be the most amused if I died though..."

Cerberus took a few seconds to respond but when he did his tone carried a weight Kim Jaehyun had never sensed in him before, "there is nothing amusing about this kind of death, you may be horrible but I would not delight in the death of my own master."

Kim Jaehyun asked, "what would happen to you if I died?"

"I would return to the beast realm and await a new master."

"You'd move on so fast— you jerk," Kim Jaehyun laughed.

Cerberus didn't answer he instead said, "in the event that the master is without spirit, their contracted beast can share with them. For the time being Master, use my spirit, my fire attribute would do better against the corruption than earth attribute."

"Are you showing off?" Kim Jaehhyun said jokingly then added, "thanks Cer," Kim Jaehyun accepted the spirit Cerberus was lending him, he concentrated on circulating it towards where the corruption was strongest.

The corruption strongly conflicted with the flame attribute spirit and it hurt a lot more but it slowed down the process of erosion just a bit.

When they finally came to a stop Cerberus let Kim Jaehyun down beside a tree, Kim Jaehyun supported himself with the tree trunk by leaning on it whilst Cerberus sat sidewards in front of him to hide him.

Lee Hyunjin had set Zhang Jue down on a patch of grass, the other had stopped convulsing and Zeiha told him that Zhang Jue's wounds weren't too serious. It was the corruption that was making him that way.

After checking over him a couple more times he walked over to Cerberus and Kim Jaehyun when he was just a few steps away Cerberus spoke to him, "have you no moral decency, my master is resting he doesn't want anyone to see his sleeping demeanour."

Lee Hyunjin stiffened after hearing Cerberus's tone, it didn't contain any of his usual trickery or sarcasm and that made him feel something was off but Lee Hyunjin still apologised.

Instead of leaving though he sat down cross legged a few feet away from them, resting his hands on his ankles. "Are you guys okay though?"

Cerberus didn't answer, he spoke to Kim Jaehyun using the contract. Master