9| Replacement

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Replacement

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 9: Replacement (Ava's POV)

My parents made me sit on the couch, between them while Mr. Phoenix and Mrs. Gemma sat across from me, and Ashton and Rhys stood off to the side. 

No. Please tell me this is not happening to me. Please, please, please, no. This isn't happening. I sat there, shocked, processing. What the hell? "You want me to marry Rhys?" 

"Yes," Mrs. Gemma sighed. 

"W-what? Why? Why? Why me? Why?" I stuttered, sinking further into the couch. 

They looked at each other and sighed while I heard Rhys scoff. I looked at him from the corner of my eye and saw him standing with his arms folded across his chest, watching everything unfold in disbelief. 

"It's a good idea, Ava," Mom tried. 

"Our biggest priority was making sure Rhys marries a girl the whole kingdom is familiar with and adores," Mr. Phoenix explained.

"But you chose Brooke," I reasoned. 

Mr. Phoenix sent Rhys a pointed look before turning to me. "We were happy to have either of you. Truth be told, we wanted it to be you, sweetheart." 

My eyes widened in surprise while my eyebrows shot up. 

"Even we saw the way Brooke and Rhys fought and argued all the time, even if it was plain bickering." 

"Oh yeah, because Ava and I don't argue at all, huh?" Rhys mumbled. 

"You need to stop talking," his dad told him warningly. "We already tried things your way, now shut up." 

I glanced over at Rhys who rolled his eyes and kept his mouth shut for the rest of the time. 

"We really wanted it to be you, Ava, honey," Mrs. Gemma said pleadingly. "We were just thinking based on your ages but three years is nothing. Plus, you and Rhys got along so well when you were younger." 

"Sure, you two don't get along that well any longer, but surely you'll build an understanding once you're married, won't you? Please just consider it," Mr. Phoenix requested. 

"Both families would have a lot to take from the public if we don't find a solution fast, Ava," Dad explained. "Just think about it once, hmm?" 

I sighed, looking at all their faces. They all look so desperate. I can't believe Brooke freaking ran away, that too, throwing me under the bus. She knew. She knew that if she ran, I would be the next scapegoat, that's why she apologized to me. 

Not only would the entire royal family be dragged down in the papers, but even we would be the talk of the town. Everybody will be talking about how Brooke ran away with some guy instead of marrying the prince, how I denied the royal family's offer, how my father, who's so loyal to the king, turned his back on him at the most desperate time. I don't fully see how just changing one daughter for another will help with what people are going to say though. Actually, I know exactly what they'll say. They'll say I'm the replacement. 

"So... I'm the substitute?" 

"Precisely," Rhys nodded. 

"Rhys, shut up!" Mrs. Gemma snapped, yelling at him. I watched in surprise. Ever since we were kids, I've never heard his parents yell at him. Ever.