twenty-one - "It's time for me to let go."

Yeonbyul made instant noodles and hoped that Heeseung was in his office. The clock showed that it was already two in the morning. She put the pot on a tray and brought it to the King's headquarters, arriving in front of his bedroom entrance. The guard opened the door and she walked in, seeing him reading some documents.

His sleeves were rolled up and he was wearing glasses, probably to get a closer look at the texts in the paper. He lifted his head to face her, seeing her placing a pot of noodles on the desk.

"I made your favourite instant noodles."

He smiled softly and took off his glasses before picking up the chopsticks on the tray.

"About what you said this morning. Why do you want me to keep my guard up? Why can't I trust anyone even you?"

"It's complicated. If I tell you, you won't even believe me."

He leaned against his chair and sighed, "This is about Mr Kim and Haesun, isn't it?"

"I'm not asking you to break up with her or anything. You can still love her, just let me do the work. All I want is for you to keep your guard up, be cautious. Take care of the kingdom. And I'll keep you safe."

He scoffed, "You? Keeping me safe?"

"I know it sounds ridiculous. But please trust me."

"Why are you doing this? Why are you trying so hard to protect me?"

Yeonbyul put down her chopsticks and stayed silent. She didn't know what to say.

Because I love you.

She couldn't confess to him. He would think that she's weird, creepy or stupid. She smiled, "Because we're best friends. Of course, I would protect you. Just like how you did all the time."

She stood up and bowed before excusing herself out of the room. She walked slowly and hugged herself, thinking about what if she confesses her feelings to him when he asked why.

She decided to take a walk around the palace, letting her mind think about all sorts of things. She went to the throne room and stared at the two chairs at the front. She remembered how she first sat on her chair. She was amazed and nervous, having the opportunity to be the Queen Consort.

She remembered how Heeseung giggled and teased her about it. It made her happy. She smiled as she remembered those precious memories. He changed after a few years. He became cold towards her, demanding, serious. His happy and lively personality faded slowly until it was gone completely.

Then it came back, but he was showing it to another woman who had his heart. And it was not her.

I have to learn to let go.

"What are you thinking right now, my lady?"

She jumped at the voice, turning around to see the crowned prince. He walked slowly towards her and sighed, looking at the two chairs.

"I will also be sitting there, but in my kingdom of course. Not here."

She chuckled, "When is your coronation, Your Highness?"

"Next week probably."

"Well, I think you would be a great king to the North Kingdom."

"I hope so. My dad still hates my careless behaviour. He says that I'm too careless, lively and I flirt too much."

"Well, the last one is true. I'm sure he's forcing you to find a Queen Consort."

"Of course. But I don't want to marry someone I don't love. I want to marry someone with whom I can share my problems to. Who understands me. Who accepts me because I'm me, you know? Not because I'm Park Sunghoon, the crowned prince of the North."

"When I first knew I was going to be the Queen, I was confused. I kept asking myself why did Heeseung choose me. Then, when I got to know him more, I fell in love with him and thought it might not be a bad idea. I was so confident that I could make him fall in love with me. But I was wrong. All these years of me being his Queen Consort, it was torturous and suffocating."

"Do you want to get a divorce?" He asked out of the blue. She thought for a while and smiled, "Is it weird that I want to? But I want to be Queen. I could stay by his side as the Queen Consort, but not as a wife."

He smiled, "It was your dream to become Queen. You are the best Queen the kingdom could ever have. Of course, it would be so hard to let go of the position."

They both stayed silent for a while, hearing the insects communicating at night. Sunghoon held both of her shoulders and stared deeply into her eyes, "How about you become my Queen Consort? Marry me and you'll help me rule the North Kingdom."

"What?" Her eyes widened in shock. He leaned forward towards her face. When their lips were about to touch, Hanseo barged into the throne room, "Your Majesty!"

They both pulled away, clearing their throat. Yeonbyul frowned, "What, Hanseo?"

"Your father, Mr Park! He...he... He passed away!"

Yeonbyul's eyes widened in shock. Her heart dropped at the sudden news. She ran out of the room and went to the entrance where there was a car ready for her.

゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚
┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊
┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩
┊ ┊ ┊ ✫
┊ ┊ ✩
┊ ⊹ ✯

Yeonbyul sobbed as she waited for the car to park at the driveway. Sunghoon who was next to her tried to calm her down. The car stopped and she jumped out of it before rushing into the house. She saw Mr Choi sitting on the floor next to her father's body.

His chest was bleeding badly. She kneeled on the floor, letting her tears trickle down. Mr Choi patted her back gently, "I'm sorry, Your Majesty. He was found dead when I came here. There was a sword in his chest."

Sunghoon kneeled to get a closer look at the wound. He touched it and remembered the pictures Jake gave him. It had the same style of killing as the previous victims.

Could it be Mr Kim?

"Dad!" Yeonbyul cried, hugging her father's lifeless body. Hanseo wiped her tears, sobbing quietly at the back.

"Dad! Please...wake up."

Mr Choi sighed and backed away, letting her vent her anger and sadness out. He faced the court lady, "Contact the mother."

Hanseo looked at him, "But it's been more than ten years since they both contacted each other. What if Her Majesty scolds us?"

"It's better to let the ex-wife know. She's still Yeonbyul's mother. Whether the Queen likes it or not."

Hanseo bowed at him before biting her bottom lip nervously. Sunghoon walked towards her and whispered, "I have a feeling Mr Kim could be related to this."