𝟎𝟏𝟔 | A BIT OF FAITH

IT FELT more like a miracle that they'd came across a replacement hose for the RV, one that got them to their destination at least. Not that their success did much to help Jim, who Mya found she couldn't stop thinking about after the group had left him. It was what he wanted it, she kept reminding herself and something about that brought her peace. Not everybody got to die on their own terms anymore, it was a luxury, in a morbid way.

The putrid smell of rotting flesh that hit her nostrils as she exited the RV was the first sign that perhaps the CDC wasn't all they'd hoped for. Holding back a gag, Mya placed a hand over her mouth and nose as her eyes began to water.

"This place is a graveyard" Mya stated, trying her hardest not to breathe through her nose.

Shane agreed, Mya could tell by the look on his face. Yet he was still trying to keep morale up, despite how grim things were shaping up to be, she couldn't blame him. "Try not to think about it, just keep going." He told her as he ushered the group towards the building's entrance.

It was all Mya could think about, but she nodded and clutched onto Sophia's shoulders as she guided her forward. The CDC stood as a beacon of hope before them, even though the light seemed to fade the closer they got. But she couldn't think about that, nor could she think about the decomposed bodies surrounding them, she had to get her family to safety.

Her younger sister wasn't blind, eyes darting back and forth in horror, unable to tear her gaze away from the sights before her, "They're all dead." Sophia surveyed fearfully.

There was nothing Mya could really say to ease her fear, as much as she wished she could. Instead, she gently tilted her sister's head away from the pain and suffering that surrounding them, pointing her towards the CDC, "Don't look, Soph, we're almost there."

If they were lucky, she'd never have to see a walker again.

The front entrance felt so far away, but Mya wasn't put at ease when they finally reached it, still trying to block out images of the corpses they'd walked past to get there. It seemed to be all for nothing though, the shutters were down and locked.

"Can we open them?" Mya asked, holding onto Sophia just a little tighter as she stared down the shutters, as if that would be enough for them to open. If only.

Rick and Shane were still adamant, both attempting to pull the shutters up to no avail. Mya could feel all the hope she'd had just this morning fading away by each second.

T-Dog let out a sigh as hopeless as how Mya was feeling, "There's nobody here."

It was hardly a surprise that Rick remained optimistic, if the circumstances had been different, she was sure she would've applauded him for it. Mya wasn't sure she had the strength to remain so hopeful, not right now. "Then why are these shutters down?" He questioned.