thirty two.

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO
and it all fell down

Andre

next day

Andre had decided to go over to Lucious' house this morning to see how he was faring. He knew Lucious was still mad at Jamal for performing, but Andre guessed he was even more pissed at Cookie because he heard she moved out.

Did Lucious kick her out, or did she leave willingly? And was she coming back? Andre wouldn't know unless he asked Lucious, so that was what he did.

"Why did Ma move out? Is it because of the performance?" he asked.

"Cookie moved out because it needed to be done. The both of us under the same roof is not the best move right now."

"Because of the performance?" Andre repeated.

Lucious sounded annoyed. "Yes, because of the performance. I still believe she didn't deserve that song."

"It was a sweet song though."

"About a not so sweet woman!" Lucious retorted. "Did you know she had the nerve to call me the devil incarnate? And she said if she would've listened to her father's concerns about me, he'd still be alive."

That made Andre's eyes widen. "Woah. She's really putting his death on you like that?"

"Yup. You best believe she got the hell out of my house after that."

Andre frowned as he watched Lucious. He looked hurt by Cookie's words. Andre felt bad for him.

Cookie was way out of line for that. But at the same time, Andre was glad she said that because she was definitely not becoming CEO now. Neither was Jamal. He just had to worry about Hakeem.

Speaking of Hakeem, he came downstairs and greeted them. "Morning, Pop. Morning, Andre."

Andre was confused. "You talking to me?"

"You're the only Andre here."

"I'm surprised because you were just calling me a snake," Andre said.

"A snake?" Lucious repeated.

"Yup. He called me a snake after our aunts left," Andre revealed.

Hakeem looked at him. "Because you were acting like one, but I'm not trying to beef with you no more. I'm with Tiana now, and I'm happier than ever. I don't want any stress. That's why me and Ma made up."

Andre's ears perked all the way up. "What'd you just say?"

"Which part?"

"You and Cookie made up?"

Hakeem nodded. "Yup. Yesterday."

Andre jerked his head onto Lucious. "You're okay with this, Pop?"

"I didn't know. But if they did make up, I can't do anything about it. That's his mother."

"Yeah, but you're not cool with her right now," Andre pointed out.

"My beef with Cookie has nothing to do with Hakeem. If he wants to have a relationship with his mother, then fine. Just as long as she stays the hell away from me," Lucious told him.

No, this wasn't fine. Hakeem was trying to act mature all of a sudden, and Andre knew exactly why. Because he wanted to be CEO. Andre wasn't letting that happen. He couldn't have Lucious forgetting how childish Hakeem was. He wasn't ready to run a company, and Andre needed Lucious to see that. Which meant he had to stir up some drama.

Hakeem questioned him. "Why do you care if I make up with Ma, anyway?" Andre just laughed. Hakeem furrowed his eyebrows. "What's funny?"

"You are," Andre said before standing up and pointing at him. "I see right through you, Hakeem. I know what you're trying to do."

Hakeem huffed. "What am I trying to do, Dre?"

Lucious agreed. "Yeah, I'd like to know that too. What is he trying to do? Because all I see is him trying to have a relationship with his mother."

Andre didn't even answer them. He grabbed his things and headed out the house, heading to a specific condo. He needed to pay Jamal a visit.

Jamal

Jamal was on the phone with Cookie. "I'm still in shock, Jamal. I can't believe I got my baby back."

Cookie had called him to tell him about Hakeem working things out with her yesterday. Jamal was happy to hear that. They were beefing for no reason.

"I'm glad, Ma. I guess he's finally maturing."

Cookie was so happy. "Yes he is! That Tiana is changing him and I love it. I need to thank that girl."

"She's always at Empire."

That made Cookie groan. "Ugh. Let's not talk about that company. I don't wanna think about Lucifer."

Jamal laughed. "Lucifer. I gotta start using that. But I don't know, he might throw me in the trash again."

Cookie got defensive. "Not as long as I'm here, he's not."

"I know, Ma. But I'm glad you liked the song."

"I loved it, baby! Hakeem did too, and I'm sure Andre did."

Jamal spoke doubtfully now. "I don't know about that. I don't know how I feel about Andre, honestly."

"You two beefing?"

They were. "We got into an argument backstage because he was trying to stop me from performing."

Cookie gasped. "What? My Andre?!"

"Yeah. Something's off with him, Ma. I think he's taking this competition way too seriously."

She scoffed. "I know what you mean. He seemed bothered by the fact that I wanted a tour of Empire; as if I didn't deserve to be there."

That made Jamal roll his eyes. "He's always been Team Lucious, and I'm over it. He's the definition of an ass kisser."

"I'll put him in his place, baby."

He objected. "Na, it's fine, Ma. I can handle Andre." Then someone knocked on his door and Jamal stared at it suspiciously because that sure ain't Mateo. "Who is it?!" They knocked harder. Jamal sucked his teeth. "I'll call you back, Ma."

He hung up the phone and opened the door. It was Andre on the other side, and Jamal was already annoyed. "The hell do you want, Dre?"

"Look, I know you don't wanna see me, but I have some info for you."

"What info?" Jamal asked curiously.

Andre said, "I just came from Pop's house-"

"I bet you did," Jamal interrupted.

"-And Hakeem was talking shit about you," Andre finished.

Now Jamal was confused. He crossed his arms at him. "What are you talking about?"

Andre elaborated. "He was making fun of you for being gay. He was even calling Mateo names, and I know you don't play when it comes to your man."

He sure didn't. Jamal felt his skin getting hot. "What was he saying exactly?"

Andre stayed tight lipped. "I'd rather not repeat it...it was pretty vile. But I know you're defensive about your sexuality, so I thought you should know. And I hope this proves that I do care about you, Jamal. I'll always choose you over Hakeem."

"Mhm," was all Jamal said. "Thanks for telling me this."

"No problem. What are you going to do?" Andre wondered.

"I'mma handle it. Do you know where Keem is?"

"Probably at Empire."

Then that was where Jamal was going.