I 45 I

☂ the white violin ☂ 

The silence slowly starts to get to me. 

As the minutes tick by, I wonder less and less if they're going to come back and free us. Maybe this is their idea of stopping the apocalypse. It's certainly not what I had in mind. 

'I have an idea,' I say. Vanya looks up at me, her eyes widening. 

'What?' 

'Grab my hand,' I stand up, helping Vanya onto her feet. She nods, taking my hand. 'Close your eyes.' 

For a second, nothing happens. The only thing I can hear is our hearts beating, the syncopation echoing through my head. A tingling vibration starts in the palm of my hand, and when I open my eyes, the familiar blue light is ignited in my fist. 

Vanya's eye's become cloudy and it's like my consciousness is moved, so that it's like I'm watching the scene unfold, but I can't do anything to stop myself. 

The walls come tumbling down around us, shattering with an ear splitting crash. Vanya and I walk out slowly, still holding hands. I can feel the tension of our powers converging, and the room growing louder and louder. 

If we wanted to, we could destroy the whole world. 

I glance over at Vanya, shocked to see that her eyes are no longer brown. They're an eerie white colour, seeming to be glowing. I glance down at my hands, but it seems like they aren't my own. Both my hands are shrouded in blue light, the light that could be responsible for destruction. 

We walk through the halls, and each passing room is left in shatters. 

I can hear yelling in the back of my head, or maybe it's real. I don't know anymore. Nothing feels right anymore. Everyone I loved betrayed me.

Five betrayed me. 

Who cares if the world disappears? 

Honestly, I wouldn't mind either way. 

'Miss Vanya...and Y/n,' A soft voice whispers from across the room. 'I understand how upset you both are.' 

Pogo wobbles slightly on his cane. He walks forward, a saddened expression on his face as he turns to Vanya. 'But I can assure you...that none of your siblings bear any responsibility for what happened to you as a child.' He sighs. 

'Did you know?' Vanya says softly. 

'Your father discovered...that you were capable of great things. Much like your brothers and sister. But your powers were...too great. He only wanted to protect you from yourself. As well as your siblings.' Pogo finishes. 

'Did...you know?' Vanya's voice becomes dangerously clear. 

Pogo sighs again. 

'Yes, Miss Vanya. I knew.' 

The wind picks up around us, and a dreadful feeling settles into my stomach. She's-we're going to kill Pogo. 

'Vanya, wait,' I utter. 'Don't-' 

But it's like the words can't come out of my mouth anymore. I am completely detached, and my powers are being controlled by her, and her alone. 

A loud screech echoes through the hall and Pogo is thrown backwards. He groans as impact is made. I cannot unsee him, dangling from the wall, two antlers poking out of his chest. 

The house collapses, and we are left standing in the wreckage. 

'Let go.' I mutter. 'Let go.' 

I try to pull my hand away, but nothing happens. 'Let go.' 

Closing my eyes, I focus myself to become aware of my surroundings. 'Let go!' With the sound of an explosion, I snatch my hand away, a blue shield appearing in front of me. 

For a split second, the real Vanya appears, with an expression of true sorrow. Then she's gone, and all that's left is power. 

'Vanya...' I whisper, feeling someone pulling me back. 'Please.' 

The wreckage of the house disappears and and the bowling place I always hated appears in front of me. 

'Y/n,' Five shakes my shoulders. 'Are you okay?' 

'Why didn't you let me out?' I murmur, feeling dizzy. 'Why didn't you let me go?' 

Five closes his eyes, turning away. His voice goes quiet. 'I thought, if you and Vanya were there, the apocalypse wouldn't happen. But I was...I was wrong. And I'm sorry.' 

'Did you just...admit you were wrong?' I ask weakly. 

'Yeah.' 

'Say it again,' I mutter. 

'I was wrong.' 

'Again.' 

'Alright, alright,' Five scoffs. 'You've made your point.' 

'Thank you,' I sigh. 'But the others will never forgive me.' 

'It's Luther who won't,' Five glares into the distance. 'That asshole.' 

'Five,' I say quietly. 

'Hm?' 

'I love you.'