Chapter 27

America was lying on her bed, asleep or passed out. I had asked her maids to stay with her while I figured out what to do next. She would have to go see her family and go for the funeral, but I needed permission from the King to permit a member of the Elite to leave the palace without a real dismissal.

I was pacing outside her door, waiting for my father to come and meet me.

"What is it that was so urgent you couldn't meet me in my office?"

"America's father has passed away which I'm sure you've heard." He looked at me blankly as if my words hadn't affected him at all.

"I have. Sad timing." I scowled at his lack of sensitivity.

"It's not about timing, father. She has just lost her father and she was extremely close with him which you would know had you taken five minutes to get to know the girl."

"I know enough about her," he snapped.

"I've met him you know. He even gave me--" I almost revealed that we had discussed how he would feel about me marrying America, but I didn't want my father to know that in case he tried to pull something.

"He gave me a lot to think about. He was an astounding gentlemen and a wonderful father."

"Clearly not that wonderful if he's responsible for raising her," he said jutting his chin toward the room.

"How dare you speak of him that way! I know you're not fond of the girl, but that doesn't give you the right to disrespect the dead," I said, seething.

"I am the King and I can speak of my people as I please!" he retorted.

"She needs to leave."

"Oh, I'm glad you finally want to agree with me about something," he said.

"No. Not leave the Selection, she needs to leave the palace."

"In another time I would be ecstatic to send her away, but with the Italians so pleased with her at this time, I won't have her leaving. It'll make us look bad."

"You don't understand. She'll want to visit her family," I said, raising my voice slightly. As hard as I was trying to stay calm, it was exceptionally difficult negotiating with someone who just wanted to argue.

"If she does, it can only be for a day. I don't approve of her, but at the moment the people and the Italians are very fond of her. It would be very inconvenient if she died."

"Inconv-!" I began to yell, "inconvenient? that won't be enough. She loved her father and she'll want more time," I argued. My father slammed his fist against the wall in frustration. I didn't even flinch.

"Fine," he huffed. "Four days. That's it."

"And what if she decided not to return?"

"If she's dumb enough to want that, then good riddance. If she's not willing to give me those announcements if she comes back, she can stay home." With that, he turned to walk away. I took a breath, debating on whether or not I should say what I wanted to say.

"I want to go with her," I blurted out.

"Like hell you will!" he yelled.

"We're down to four, Father. This woman might be my wife and I'm just supposed to send her alone?"

"Yes! If she dies that's one thing, but if you die it's a whole other issue," he said angrily.

"Father, if you would just listen-"

"I refuse to put your life at risk when we're in no positions to have any spares."

"Father-"

"You're staying here and I won't hear anything else about it," he continued.