Chapter Twenty Six

Clarice was standing with Harry in Diagon Ally waiting for the Weasley's to join them. 

"Harry... about yesterday..." She began. 

"It's okay, everyone knows you guys are together." Harry said while looking at his feet. 

"I know, but I'm sorry. I didn't mean for you to see that." She said. 

"What do you see in him?" Harry questioned and she was taken aback by his question. 

"I- well..." 

"He's so mean to everyone. And you're so nice. Like you're the nicest professor at Hogwarts." He said. 

"I think we balance each other out." She told him. 

"I guess... Yeah I can see that. Last year,  when you broke up, I guess, he was so much worse than usual. But when you were back together he gave us less homework and started giving us house points." Harry told her. 

"I know it's hard to see since he's your professor, but when you meet someone and get to know them outside of where you work it's a little different. He's nice to me, he cares about me." She said and thought back to the previous year. 

"He kept care of all of my creatures and plants last year when I was petrified. I think that's when I knew he truly cared for me." She admitted. 

"He did that for you?" Harry asked. 

"Yes, and came to visit me in the infirmary every day. He read to me." She laughed. 

"I have a hard time imagining that." Harry laughed. "Look! There they are!"

"Harry!" She heard Ron yell out through the crowd of redheads coming towards them. 

She smiled at Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. 

"You must be the parents, I'm Professor Bates, but you can call me Clarice." She stuck her hand out and shook theirs. 

"You can call me Molly and this is Arthur." Molly said. "And you know the kids."

"Of course, the angels." She laughed. 

"I can only hope they are." Arthur said. 

"Don't worry, Fred and George made me laugh so hard I cried one day. They really know how to brighten your day." She said as they marched behind the kids. 

"And Percy, he's the best in his grade at potions. He really has a knack for it." Clarice said as they walked into the bookstore. Her and Harry had gotten there early to go to the bank.

"Harry, here are your books. You'll have to ask the clerk for that weird monster book Hagrid is requiring." Clarice said and eyed the books that were locked in cages. "Just be careful with it."

She waited outside the bookstore with Molly while Arthur helped the kids pay for their stuff. 

"Molly, I have to leave a day early to go back to school, do you think Harry could stay with you guys?" She asked. 

"Oh of course! We love Harry. That won't be a problem at all. I mean, we can take him right now if you'd like. Might be easier." She said. 

"I think he'd like that. He'd be more comfortable being with his friends than his professor." She giggled and saw them leaving the bookstore. 

"Harry! You're gonna go home with Ron and they're going to bring you to the platform alright?" Clarice told him. 

"You got sick of me?" He asked seriously. 

"Oh goodness no. I have to leave early for work and it's just easier if Molly takes you." Clarice said. 

"I was only joking. I'll see you at school!" Harry waved and saw him run towards Hermione who she could just make out.