Chapter Sixty-six: Anticipation

Celestia

"What are you working on so intently?" A low sultry voice whispers in my ear, causing me to jump with surprise and whip my head around to it's owner: Alaric.

"Alaric..." I scolded him, adding a glare. "Your lucky that I'm almost finished, I could of accidentally set off an explosion."

"I did knock and called your name a few times once I entered." Alaric pouts a little as he places a tray filled with food down on the table after carefully moving some papers away. "However, I did wait to make sure you had released your wand before I came close."

"Sorry." I sighed, rubbing my temples. "I was too focused."

"I brought food since I heard that you were working so hard." Alaric pulls out my seat for me and pushes it in before sitting down next to me. "Of course, you shouldn't miss meals."

"I won't miss meals if you come with it." I mentally face-palmed at my statement and quickly tried to cover up my embarrassment by digging into my food.

I could see out of the corner of my eye, Alaric raising an eyebrow with a smirk but he doesn't say a word.

"What are you working on?" He asks, finally releasing me from his amused scrutiny.

"A few defenses and traps for Radna." I smirked.

In my past life, one of my great loves was videogames: strategies and survival games were my absolute favorites as kid. So, I was utilizing that knowledge to create some of the traps from the games that I played, mostly the ones that I would die from until I remembered the pattern and signs.

"Some of these I have seen... Others are quite unusual." Alaric glances over a page of diagrams with a raised eyebrow before holding up a sandwich to my mouth.

"Don't worry." I spoke after taking a bite. "I've been working with the troops so that they know the positions of the traps ahead of time."

"I see."

Alaric bites the sandwich after me as he continued to pour over the documents. I felt my cheeks slowly heating up as I realized we were indirectly kissing and coughed to hide it.

"These are interesting." He shows me the page he was on and glances over to the table that I had been working on, multiple smooth stones laying in a pile. "Just like the ones you made us a two years ago."

"Yep!" I held up a cookie for him which he take a big bite, leaving me only a small piece left behind causing me to frown. "I made a lot and a few new ones which I'll show you later."

::::::::::::

A month has passed since Alaric agreed to let me help with the mansion defenses; everything was up and running, now we only had to wait.

The longer it took for Radna to appear, the more tense everyone got.

From what Alaric had told me, Radna was injured but nothing life threatening. So it was only a matter of time before he reappeared.

I knew that Alaric was still worried about me since I've still have nightmares which keeps the both of us up in the beginning; but they have improved: I only have them every other night instead of every night now.

****

"Your Majesty!" A servant rushes into the room, panting heavily after slamming open the doors causing Alaric and I to look up from the papers in front of us. "A report just came in from the perimeter: an army of creatures has appeared!"

"Get everyone on high alert and to their positions." Alaric orders as he stood, gliding into the hallway as I followed him. "Non-combatants are to shelter in the basement."

"Yes, Your Majesty!" The servant quickly bows as we moved on ahead before running off to deliver the message.

"This is really happening." I subconsciously say as people rushed to their positions.

"Yes." Alaric clasps his hand with mine, his feelings transferred to me from tight he held my hand.

"Be safe" He suddenly stops and turns to say to me, reluctantly releasing me.

Alaric had protest greatly when I had told him my plan but we both knew that nothing else would work on him, Radna will have mostly likely thought of everything- except this.

"Don't worry." I smiled up at him. "It will work."

Hey everyone! Its your favorite author! Sorry for the sporadic posting and unfortunately it seems that its going to continue for a few more weeks like this especially with these next few chapters.

But I will make them nice and long to make up for it! Hope everyone is staying safe wherever you are in the world!!