────── fifteen

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

═══ AT HOME ═══

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

SITTING AT THE DINNER TABLE with a sour look on her face, Akiko barely touched her food, instead opting to push it around on her plate. Thoughts still circling around the almost-kiss in the park, she couldn't contain the frustration she felt. Of all the reasons why someone could have called, Shinichiro had only wanted to check up on his younger cousin and had asked her to come home since nightfall was right around the corner. Akiko couldn't be angry at him for caring.

Nevertheless, she wondered what would have happened if Shinichiro hadn't interrupted them. Dozens of possible scenarios played out in her head, each one less likely to have happened. She wondered if she would ever end up in such a situation again, or if it was a once in a lifetime sort of thing.

"Why are you pouting?" asked Mikey from across the table. He chewed and swallowed, leaning forward with squinted eyes. "Did someone upset you?"

Immediately, Akiko blushed and shook her head hastily, raising her hands in defense. "No! It's nothing like that! I-I'm fine!"

Taken aback by her uncharacteristic response, Mikey crossed his arms in a childish manner. "Why are you lying?"

Her heart sank at the accusation. "I would never lie to you. You know that."

"Don't push her to talk about something if she isn't ready yet," Shinichiro scolded his brother.

"Oh, I know!" Emma suddenly exclaimed cheerily. "It's about a boy, right?!"

Witnessing the blush deepening in color, Shinichiro smiled knowingly, Emma clapped and began mercilessly shooting questions at the flustered brunette, whereas Mikey slumped in his chair with a puzzled look on his face.

"Boys? What about boys?" he questioned.

"You know, when a girl really likes a boy an-"

Quickly, Akiko jumped up, slapped a hand over Emma's mouth and pulled the blonde out of her chair. "Would you excuse us for a minute?"

Grandfather Sano had followed the exchange wordlessly, was now chuckling at Akiko's silly behavior. "To be young and in love again. I remember the first time I fell in love with a girl," he reminisced with a fond smile.

Mikey sighed. "I don't understand girls."

"There is no rush, Manjiro," stated grandfather Sano. "It will happen in its own time. You will meet the right person when you least expect it."

Shinichiro stared at his plate, following a train of thought he had suppressed for a long time, too preoccupied with looking out for his family. He was in his twenties now. Relationships were still foreign ground for him. In high school, he had been too busy with the Black Dragons, now he was running a bike shop whenever he wasn't taking care of his siblings. Adding to that the current troubles of Hoshino Akiko and her family, Shinichiro had no time to think about relationships.

A hand on his shoulder pulled him back to reality.

"All in its own time," the old man repeated gently.