3. newsflash

"I don't really like meatloaf," Michelle said, prodding at hers with a fork.

It was addressed to no one in particular, mostly because nobody at the lunch table was paying any attention to her.

Everyone else was too busy making gooey eyes or mumbling sweet nothings at their significant other. Sylvie was giggling at a joke that Jordan had just made, and now she swatted at his arm.

Really cute, you guys, Michelle wanted to say. Now can someone please remember that I exist?

Instead, she reluctantly ate another mouthful of dry meatloaf and checked her phone.

To her surprise, she had a text message from Caledon. According to the time stamp, he'd sent it just a couple of minutes ago.

Caledon: I'm surrounded by couples. Help.

Michelle felt a wry grin tug at her lips. She related way too well to that.

Michelle: Me too. Help.

His response arrived within seconds.

Caledon: Want to eat together?

Her eyebrows shot up as she stared at the screen.

The idea hadn't even occurred to her. Now that she was really giving it some thought, it made sense. Her friends' boyfriends were almost always sitting with them. There was nothing stopping Caledon from joining her or vice versa.

There were plenty of couples who ate lunch together. She and Caledon could be one of them.

Michelle: Why not? Let's do it. Do you want to come here, or should I go there?

Caledon: Either way works for me. Do you want me to come over?

Her friends still didn't know about Caledon yet, and Michelle wasn't sure how to break the news to them. Was she supposed to just say it out of the blue regardless of the current conversation topic?

If he came over now, that would be a perfect opportunity to tell them.

Michelle: Sure. Have you told your friends about us yet?

Caledon: No, but I will in a few seconds when they ask where I'm going.

She snorted.

Michelle: Sounds great. We're sitting near the entrance.

Caledon: See you soon.

Excitement surged through her veins at the thought of her friends meeting her new boyfriend. It gave her enough energy to sit up straight and eat a few more bites of her meatloaf.

Most people in the cafeteria were currently seated, so it was easy to spot Caledon making his way past the tables. He was looking around, his head turning left and right every few seconds, probably trying to find her.

Raising her arm above her head, Michelle waved enthusiastically at him. The action caught his attention, and his head snapped in her direction. He flashed her a grin before changing directions and heading towards them.

When he got within three feet of their table, Caledon stood behind her chair, holding his lunch tray.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi," she said, dragging an empty chair from a neighboring table to theirs. "Sit down!"

Everyone else looked up at him, visibly startled by his abrupt presence. Carter and Xavier both nodded at him, but Hailey, Autumn, and Sylvie all turned to Michelle for answers.