Chapter 28 - Toman Vs. Black Dragons

December 25th, 2005

It's the day of the decisive battle between Black Dragons and Toman. While Aoi had her own plans on Christmas Day, the battle in the church had already begun to reach its climax. 

After Kisaki and Hanma betrayed Takemichi and Chifuyu, Takemichi was in a pinch alone. But Mitsuya appeared soon after, matching the monster Taiju, punch for a punch. 

But of course, Black Dragons wouldn't fight clean. Using a dirty trick, Inui struck down Mitsuya with a rod from behind, causing him to fall to the floor. 

.

.

Feeling like their hopes are crushed, as the Toman members are panicking, Mitsuya stands up again, telling them to hold down Inui and Kokonoi while he fights with Taiju. Asking for help from Hakkai, Mitsuya rushes toward Taiju to punch him but is stopped in his tracks when he sees the man laughing. 

Mitsuya looks behind and sees that Hakkai didn't follow him. Using this chance, Taiju punches down Mitsuya to the ground and Chifuyu is brought down by Inui. 

Hakkai rushes to Taiju while threatening to kill him, but Takemichi stops the boy from doing so. Taking one beating after the other, Takemichi continuously stands his guard against Taiju. Hakkai begs for him to stop already, but Takemichi does not give up.

.

.

"If.. there is even the smallest chance... that I can change the future, then isn't it worth risking my life for?" Takemichi says to Hakkai with his bruised face. "You can talk to me about anything Hakkai.. We're friends, aren't we?"

Hearing those words from Takemichi, Hakkai bursts into tears, asking the boy in front of him to help him. 

"Hakkai, the one you wanted to save! I'll protect Yuzuha for you!!" Takemichi declares.

"You're.. wrong Takemicchi.." Hakkai suddenly speaks up. "My face doesn't have a single bruise on it, right? Even though.. Yuzuha's beaten and bloody.."

Takemichi looks at him in confusion but Hakkai just continues with what he's saying, "I.. I wanted to protect Yuzuha but I didn't have the guts to stand up to Taiju."

"Huh?"

"Instead.. I've been protected this whole time. I lied to you." Hakkai confesses. He tells everything about what Yuzuha had done for him and how he made it sound like he did it for her.

Exclamations of how awful that was fills the room. 

"It's none of your business! It's something I decided. None of this is Hakkai's fault!" Yuzuha shouts from the back.

"Forgive me Takemicchi. This all happened because of me." Hakkai says to Takemichi. "You all got dragged into this because I lied about it. From the very beginning, you got hurt because of me. Aoi got hurt because of me. I don't know how I can show my face to anyone anymore..."

"Hakkai.. You suck!!" shouts Takemichi, surprising everyone in the room. "But don't think you're the only one who sucks."

"You're not the only one who wants to run away Hakkai." Mitsuya adds.

"You've not checked your messages yet right Hakkai?" Takemichi asks, making Hakkai give him a confused look.