Chapter 46

What I presume to be the next morning, I'm awoken by someone pressing feather-light kisses on my forehead. My cheek. My lips. My nose. My chin. My lips. I try to not show any signs of waking up in fear of the kisses disappearing, but I cannot help but break out in a huge grin, eyes still closed, feeling half-decent for the first time since traveling back in time. If all it takes is jumping back in time and getting mysteriously ill with no cure in sight for me to be awoken like this, I'll take it any day.

"Morning, sleepyhead." Wanda's voice, still raspy and croaky in the morning, reaches my ears like music.

"Hmm, still sleeping." I hum, dragging out the fleeting feeling of sleep which is starting to already leave me, getting replaced by the now-familiar feeling of feeling something akin to being seasick.

"You slept so still I thought you were dead." Wanda complains, one of her arms snaking its' way across my chest where it comes to lay still. I welcome the weight of it, my skin flushing underneath.

"And you didn't try mouth-to-mouth when you thought I was dead?" I softly exclaim, peeling open my right eye and sneaking a glance at Wanda, dimly visible in the dark room.

Her hair is tousled, and her skin is pale in the weak light which manages to escape Stark's thick drapes, but her eyes sparkle vividly. She scrunches up her nose and sticks out her tongue in disgust.

"Eww..." She shakes her head and a laugh escapes her, which prompts me to chuckle along with her.

"What, you wouldn't do it if it meant saving my life?" I turn my head to fully face her, opening both my eyes, frowning at her.

She juts her chin out, proudly, a little grin on her face, as she studies my face.

"No."

"Oh you're a hypocrite, Maximoff." I call her out and her eyebrows rise in reply.

"Whatever do you mean?" She asks innocently while she narrows her eyes, her eyebrows almost meeting in the middle of her forehead, making her look like a tiny puppy being scolded.

"Don't do that."

"What?"
"Ugh." I groan, extending my hand behind my head and grabbing my pillow and pulling it out from under my head, and letting it smack down on Wanda's face.

She responds by letting out a little squealing noice, a very tiny crack of red electricity instantly appearing and disappearing around her fingers as she's taken by surprise. She pulls the pillow from her face, revealing her shocked face.

"What was that for!?" She shoves the pillow back to me.

"Couldn't look at your face." I chortle, leaving her looking even more undignified.

"Excuse me?"

"Couldn't risk having to unpromptedly practice mouth-to-mouth as you're so opposed to it." My reply and I feel Wanda's body physically shudder with amusement.

"Hm, I wouldn't paint me as being opposed..." She pulls a thinking face that warms my cold, cold heart and I can't help but take note of the happiness she makes me feel; it's such a strange and unfrequented state of being.

"Well, then." I pull her in closer and kiss her boldly, the joy in me growing exponentially, and I feel like I could float away if it weren't for her lips anchoring me and her body melting against mine.

There's a swift and sudden pounding on the door outside before it flies open, making both Wanda and me jump and awkwardly entangle ourselves from the other as if we've been stung. The light from the hallway outside is harsh in contrast to the light in our room, and for a few heartbeats, my eyes struggle to readjust as my head starts solemnly pounding with the now-usual headache I've known for a few days.