32. Twisted Person

Ace

Sweet liar.

I stared at the strand of cobweb, crumbling it between my fingers as I looked into the hallway.

It was from her lovely chocolatey-smelling hair. The maids knew better than to keep the mansion dirty. If there was one place where there would be cobwebs, it's the attic.

Interesting. But how come she found out about it? Shane wouldn't tell an empty grave, let alone a living soul.

Amused at her determination, I was glad that she was trying to find out things on her own. 

Hearing it from my mouth will take forever.

Taking a deep breath I descended the stairs, chanting in my head to not lose cool. But then again, there is a fucking criminal on loose and then I should be calm?

Then why didn't you accompany Athena? She must be alone with the 'criminal' right now.

....fuck. That thought alone made me fasten my pace into a sprint. I sighed at ease when I saw Athena by the end of the stairs, still haven't reached the living room.

Athena turned her head and looked at me wide-eyed. "What? What is it?" She unmistakably saw the panic on my face because now she panicked.

Athena took her words of 'your problem, my problem' seriously. Very seriously.

"Nothing. Do you want them to leave or meet?" I asked as I grabbed her hand, intertwining my fingers.

Hold back, please hold back, hold back.

Maybe she must have heard the loudest thoughts I ever had, because her fingers did intervene with mine, firmly and tightly. I breathed silently in satisfaction.

"Meet them, obviously." Athena muttered as the large living room came into view, with Julie staring at them in distaste.

"Go inside Julie. We don't need anything here." I ordered making Athena tighten her fingers around mine. Julie turned to me and smiled, glancing back at Eva and Alan before going away to the kitchen.

"You know her name." Athena whispered, glaring at the retreating form of Julie. Was she mad that I knew a maid's name?

"Hey, Alan." The kid with my eyes got out from Eva's arms, rushing into Athena's with smiles.

Oh, now the kid loves her? What else do I have to face?

I sat there silently speaking once in a while as I watched the kid. His stormy gaze was on Athena the entire fucking time.

Is he in love with her?

We spoke as if we were friends. The whole point of them coming here was that, being Alan closer to his Dad.

Dad.

The word alone made me sick in the stomach, and no, it wasn't the butterfly feeling Athena makes.

Literal sickness. 

The kid wasn't much of a problem. I have grown used to the little shit, it was Eva who was the trouble.

I frowned every time the kid rubbed his eyes as if he was sleepy and was trying to stay awake. That every time was every 5 fucking minutes. The white of his eye would go a bit red too.

Eva would gently pull his hand away from his face when he does that. Athena noticed this many times too because every time they did that she threw me a doubtful look.

"It's getting late, we should get going." Eva quickly started when she finally saw Athena's face. Alan turned around to look at her.

"But mommy, I want to stay with Ath." Eva looked down at him while Athena looked surprised.