Chapter 38

Asher

Kissing is a lot like dancing. You're either good at it, or you're not. Sure, practicing will help, but two people either connect and are great together, or they are two left feet and mess of tongues and slobber.

Harper and I are wonderful dance partners.

I can taste her drink on her lips, and the sweetness of vanilla that has been teasing me since she sat beside me on the plane. Her skin is hot beneath my hands as I pull her in, afraid if I let go even for a second this moment will evaporate and take with it the joy that is making my heart race and my cheeks hurt from smiling. I want to get lost in her. I want to never leave this party and these strangers because what we have right now can't be replicated. It's pure magic.

The band plays on, but we aren't listening. I can't hear past the blood that's pumping in my veins, making my ears hot and my head spin. I can't get her close enough to me even though I'm dragging my hand from her face to her back and then pulling her into me at her waist.

Her arms wrap around my neck and the softest sigh escapes her sweet lips as our mouths dance, perfectly paced, gentle yet eager. I refuse to pay any attention to anything but her. I want to feel her and hear her, to know every movement so I can remember it forever. My heart crashes against my ribs as if this is my first kiss and I almost laugh with the giddiness of it all. How am I this nervous?