Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Delhi

"How could you expose me so much in front of everyone else, Jalal? What an insult!" yelled Bairam Khan.

"Khan Baba, how could you sentence my mahout to death and have another one whipped without my knowledge and consent? What an insult for me!" Jalal yelled back.

"You have clearly exceeded your limits! It's enough! You have to ascribe that solely to yourself! You are our regent, yes, but that does not give you the right to pronounce death sentences on your own initiative! Especially when it concerns my private affairs. I am the emperor! Such serious decisions must be discussed with us beforehand. We hereby deprive you of the power to pronounce judgments and make decisions without our consent. Nothing will be changed about this decision. Everything remains as it was announced in Diwan-I-Khaas! You are still my first advisor and mentor, but the final decision is mine! You sentenced my most capable mahout to death. Allah be with him! This gap is difficult to close. We again expressly forbid you to interfere in our private affairs. It is strictly forbidden for you!" he yelled in anger.

"How did we deserve this treatment?" Bairam Khan snapped back huffy. " We were installed as your ataliq by your father and we helped you to the throne! Without us you wouldn't be on the throne today!"

Jalal clenched his fists and his jaw clenched! His anger became immeasurable.

"Bairam Khan! Guard your tongue! Don't cross the line any further! Yes, our father installed you as my ataliq and yes, you helped us up to the throne! We are really grateful to you for that too! But that doesn't give you the right to stand above me and act behind my back! Who are you to question an imperial edict?" Jalal was roaring now.

Bairam Khan flinched like a beaten dog!

"Jalal, the mahout caused an unspeakable turmoil and hurt people. The e ...!"

"Bas! No more word! We don't want to hear any more! You show no insight and still put your decision above ours! We don't want to hear no more words! The decree is effective immediately! And now get out of my sight!"

Bairam Khan opened his mouth in reply! Jalal silenced him with a wave of his hand.

"No more word! Leave my chamber!"

The Khan-i-Khanan turned and stomped away furiously. Jalal's anger was at its peak and he paced restlessly up and down his room. How dared Bairam Khan speak to him like that. Slowly he calmed down and he decided to go for a ride.

Bairam Khan hurried to his chambers. Jalal's edict gnawed at him! His face was an angry grimace. In his room he found his wives who played with Rahim. The little boy squealed in delight as Salima whirled him around. His mother sat next to it, smiling, and watched the two of them play. She immediately noticed that something was wrong when her husband entered the room. She stepped up to him and put a reassuring hand on his arm.

"Bairam, what about you? You are completely upset!"

Salima paused and picked up Rahim. She was eager to hear her husband's answer.

"Jalal! He humbled me in front of everyone present at Diwan-I-Khaas, Khanum!" he burst out.

"He wants to make all decisions himself in the future! Haven't I done everything for him? Is that now the thanks for it?"

"Now sit down and calm down. Salima, have Sharbat served up and bring Rahim to his room. It's time for his nap. Now tell me everything!" said Nesrin after Salima had left.

The sharbat was brought and Bairam Khan hastily emptied a mug in one gulp. Slowly he calmed down and told everything. Salima, who had meanwhile come back, listened attentively. She could understand both, her husband and her cousin, but held back and waited for Nesrin's answer.