A Strange Kindness

It had been a few days since the encounter with Agent Milton and Ross. (Y/n) was worried every second that the Pinkertons were gonna show up and arrest everyone, she kept looking around for any signs of things out of the ordinary. 

But she did her best to keep her mind off of things and it did work for awhile but the fear that something would happened played in the back of her mind. Doing chores, taking care of Annebeth and Arthur being there to keep her company were the only things that didn't make her go too crazy and paranoid.

She knows that the men in the gang would do anything to keep them all safe but there was this small part of her that something was gonna happen, and it was either gonna end with someone dead or they would have to pack up and move.

But it turns out, her instincts were right.

She was playing with Annebeth and Jack when Dutch and John come back with an injured Strauss. Everyone came towards them, worried, and asked what the hell happened. Dutch told them that after John and Arthur met him and Strauss at the local bar in Valentine, they were ambushed by Leviticus Cornwall and his hired men.

They had John and Strauss as Dutch and Arthur come out and Dutch tried to talk to Cornwall but it ended with a gun fight. They shot and killed a couple of Cornwall’s men and they shot Strauss in the leg.

Luckily they were able to get out, Arthur stayed back to make sure no one followed them. Dutch and Hosea went over to Dutch’s tent to talk while Grimshaw went to go take care of Strauss.

Minutes later, Arthur showed up and (y/n) sighed with relief as she goes over to him. "Oh Arthur." She said, relieved, as she goes to hug him, he hugs her back. She pulls back and looks back at him. "You okay?" She asked him. "Yeah, I'm fine." He said. "Dutch told us what happened." (Y/n) said and Arthur nods. "Yeah, I need to go talk to him. I'll met up with you later." He said and she nods as she goes over to her tent.

Arthur approaches Dutch’s tent where there was already a lively argument going on. "So…We keep heading east. Is that the plan?" Hosea asked Dutch, annoyed. "For now." Dutch replied. "And when do we stop, when we reach Paris?" Hosea asked, angrily.
"Oh that’d be nice, join the Commune?" Dutch asked, sarcastically, and Hosea shakes his head.

"We stop when we find someplace sensible, shake them that’s following us and lie low." Dutch said and Hosea sighs. "This is lying low? We’ve turned into a bunch of killers, I mean it. We ain’t even got the delusion of being anything but a bunch of killers." he said, angrily. 

"We are just trying to survive, Hosea. We don’t have a choice. This’ll end soon." Dutch said, trying to assure him. "Damn right it will." Hosea yells and he leaves the tent as Arthur comes in.

"Constipated as usual." Dutch grumbles as he watches Hosea's back. "So, we moving?" Arthur asked him. "Micah told me of a place we can lie low. Look here…Dewberry Creek, he said. Maybe you, (y/n) and Charles can go take a look…clear off anyone you find…before the whole lot of us move in…looking so conspicuous." Dutch said.

"And how we gonna do that?" Arthur asked him, exasperated. "I don’t know. Start dancing?" Dutch suggested with sarcasm. "Looks like I’ve turned into the damn errand boy." Arthur grumbles, annoyed, as he walks out the tent. "You have turned into my son…you worry, because I worry. We are just the same." Dutch tells him as Arthur shakes his head.

He walks over to Charles and said. "Charles, come with me." Charles looks up at him and nods. "Sure, this can wait." Charles said as he stops what he's doing and Arthur goes over to (y/n). "(Y/n), come with us. We got work to do." He said as she turns to him. "Okay, let me go ask Abigail to watch Annebeth and I'll be by the horses." She said and Arthur nods.