Chapter 46

Eisa normally enjoyed Thanksgiving.

"Is this really necessary?" she asked, leaning against a pillar as she watched the servers decorate the courtyard.

"Indeed it is, Sister," said Elijah. "We must break the advantage that the Trinity has over us. Their alignment. We must turn them against each other; only then will we gain the upper hand."

"Well, why the bloody hell do I have to be here tonight? I like Thanksgiving, I would prefer to be spending it surrounded by women and alcohol. There's much to be thankful for when attractive females are involved."

Elijah rolled his eyes. "While you may find joy in being away from this family, I insist you remain here, to present our united front. Aya will be in attendance as well, and it would not be fitting if her sire were to be the only one not seated at the table."

"I just think I could be doing something more productive," huffed Eisa. "For once, I'd rather not waste my time choosing a dress. Marcel is speaking with Davina to keep her from activating the Serratura. Isela is working to locate it, Freya is researching how she might be able to destroy it, and Rebekah's been on call with Stefan Salvatore to procure a Heretic that might be able to siphon that medallion's magic away before it is activated. We must find the Serratura before they do, and either destroy it, or use it. I should be researching with my other witches—"

"There are more than enough minds at work, Eisa. You've been handling it all for weeks, allow yourself a break."

"I don't want a break, I want this prophecy to be over with! I fear that the more we try to avoid it, the more we'll mess our own lives up. I feel useless when I do nothing more than wait around for others to find the solutions."

Elijah did not answer, as his eyes had flickered up to Vincent Griffith, who'd entered the Compound. "May I help you?" he said flatly.

Vincent held his hands up in surrender. "Not here for you."

Isela trotted down the stairs, grinning at the witch. "Vincent!" she said happily, pulling him into a hug. Eisa noticed this made Elijah's fist ball up. She turned to Eisa, who she was actually required to report to. "I know I said I could find the Serratura on my own because of our mutual Aztec origins, but then I realized, Vincent is the strongest Tremé witch I know, and together, we should be able to find it."

"Really?" asked Eisa, looking the other witch up and down. "I thought you hated this family, Mr. Griffith. I'm surprised you're so willing. Eager, even."

"Isela was the one that asked, therefore, I chose to say yes, for her sake," replied Vincent. "Besides, that medallion belongs to the Tremé Coven. It should be returned to them, and that's all I'm here to do. I don't like any vampire, so I'm not going to let anyone in The Strix get their hands on it."

"Fair enough," said Eisa, watching as Isela pulled Vincent upstairs.

"Are they friends?" asked Elijah lowly, once they were out of earshot.

Eisa smirked, leaning back against one of the chairs. "Maybe. I haven't asked her about it."

Elijah grimaced. "He knows she associates with us. He could be using her—"

"You do know Isela is allowed to have friends who are witches, right? Even if they're not under my command? She's just under strict instruction to not reveal any of our secrets. Which she hasn't. Asking him for help isn't anything wrong. She can have male friends if she wishes to. She doesn't fancy him, if that's what you're wondering. But I do know that she fancies a certain brother of mine who wears suits all the time..."