» [v.c.] background

Virginia Marjorie Curtis was born to Darrel Curtis Sr

Virginia Marjorie Curtis was born to Darrel Curtis Sr. and Susan Curtis on August 12th, 1949. She was blessed with a happy and comfortable childhood for many years, growing up with her three brothers, Darrel, Sodapop, and Ponyboy. It was at the age of five when Virginia discovered her love and talent for art, spending time and years to hone the craft.

At the age of twelve, she met Dallas Winston and although their relationship was friendly at the beginning, it soon soured a few years later when he became entangled with the murder of Bob Sheldon and whisks Ponyboy and Johnny Cade away from home and into hiding for several weeks. Virginia confronted Dallas and they have a fall-out, causing the main reason for their rift in the months to follow.

As a girl of sixteen, Virginia continued to pursue her wild dreams of becoming an artist and living abroad in Europe. She met Samuel Gardner, the son of her art teacher, Margaret Tanner, and a Soc, and they fall in love, starting a relationship and later become engaged during his service in the Vietnam War.

Virginia bonds with Dallas over time, unknowing of the growing feelings he began to have for her, prompting a clandestine kiss they shared while she was under the light influence of alcohol. Fearful of her reaction and how it could affect her relationship with Sam, Dallas kept it a secret from her for several months until she finds out and their relationship is spoiled once again. They soon reconcile although Virginia isn't quite sure where her feelings lie after realizing the extent of Dallas' unrequited ones.

Virginia's understanding of the world and how it shows a blend of gray in what many believe is black and white forms the overlying crux of the story. She deals with issues surrounding sexual assault of her enemy-turned-friend, Sarah-Jane Wyatt, racism against her family friend, Duke Jeffords, the classism popular in her time period concerning Socs and greasers. and her own personal trauma stemming from the death of her parents and the death of her fiancé, Sam Gardner as he died in combat in Vietnam.

Following this untimely death and departure in her life, Virginia attended college in New York to become a teacher. She achieved her dreams of traveling Europe, taking art lessons and returning home to Tulsa, a more refined, graceful, and beautiful young woman in a very different neighborhood.

Most people would describe her as bold, passionate, rebellious, kind, and determined above all. Despite being raised in the Northside and being surrounded by hoods and greasers, Virginia kept her heart and found beauty where most found darkness. She always stood up for injustice, oftentimes letting her temper and impulsivity guide her actions.  Virginia's style often included blue jeans, a common staple for greasers, as well as hand-me-downs and clothing from her mother that she revamped and added her own personal touches to. It ranged from her beloved Doc Martens, to painted denim jackets, and to a collection of floral dresses and modest skirts fit for a young lady in her later years.

Virginia's story recounts her high school and young adult life, filled with romance, family, friendship, and danger all centering the life of a young dreamer ready to take her future in her own hands and chase excellence.