Ch. 2.2 Why Alex Needs A Guard

The traffic around the infirmary increased. Gaza, Tegu, Argo, and Tycho set up a marketplace right outside Little Egg Mountain, with a quick exit to the safety of the mountain.

The market and Little Egg Mountain were awash in a slow river of travelers from above and below, but the few who were repeating the trek up and down had settled into a sort of rhythm that made the ascending and descending seem as natural as breathing.

Vole and Mahlon sneered at them as cowards and set up their clans in the traditional coastal marketplace. The traditional coastal marketplace was closer to the sea, but not so close that it was in the flood plain. Other clans set up in the plain in-between the two marketplaces.

Although the brothers decided to stay with Alex round the clock, Gaza sabotaged them and called all three to a meeting. Alex was on her own.

"Guardian." A whisper without a response. "Guardian." A whisper with a shake of Alex's shoulder.

The combination of a female voice and touch meant danger to Alex and she opened her eyes. A feminine face was muzzle to nose with her. The female crouching by Alex's bed looked into those weary, weary eyes.

"Guardian, are you dying?" the female asked.

"Am I?" Confusion overlaid weariness in Alex's eyes, bleary with fatigue and her eyelids fluttered.

"Yes." The female decided to press her advantage. "You must release Rile before you die." When Alex didn't reply, she pursued. "He's acting strange; rebuffing every female that comes near him. You don't want him spending the rest of his life alone."

Alex closed her eyes. "Go away."

"If you truly care for him, you'll tell him. Even Gabe is worried." It was an accurate guess on the female's part.

"Gabe is? I'll tie a bow on Rile. What name do you want on his tag?"

Alex's anger, and the appearance of Rile at the infirmary entrance, caused the female to scurry away.

"Who was that?" Nothing escaped Rile's eyes.

"Vulture." Alex sighed, not opening her eyes.

"I'll put an armed guard on you. What did this one say?" Rile asked.

"They're worried that you won't unite to one of them after I die." Alex opened her eyes. "But you should." She tried to make it a command.

"Stop being so morbid. You're not dying," Rile said.

Alex's eyes were contemplative, heavy lidded. Her chest rose in heavy breaths and her hair was a mess, but it was the open and honest look in her eyes as she contemplated her own fate that was remarkable. "The wishful thinking of a thousand females can't be good for my health."

"Are you sure you want to go there? To the whole 'thinking shapes reality' garbage? It only changes your perception of reality, my love."

Alex gave a fake shudder. "I'm not up to a visit from the Portal Guardian, much less a dressing down."

Encouraged, Rile helped Alex sit up. She was warm, the slight tremors in her body giving away her blood pumping through her. The fingers that were on his brow were cool. Then all the color drained from her face and her eyes dimmed, so he quickly lay her back down. He curled around her and tried not to think. Cale stopped during his rounds.

"How is she? I don't like the look of either of you right now," Cale said.

"She can't sit up, Cale." Rile looked up at him for reassurance again.

"I fixed a slurry of honey and milk. It'll help." Cale handed it to his brother and his youthful face was suddenly a bit older, a little more complicated and sorrowful. "You know how much she loves sweets. She'll like it and it'll strengthen her."