Chapter 13

"I think I'm the worst human being that ever existed..."

I opened my mouth to speak, but I couldn't find the right words to say. Shantel stares at me with bloodshot eyes and trembling lips.

"Shantel..."

"He's gone," pagak ang boses niya at iniwas ang tingin sa akin. "And I don't feel an ounce of pity for that man."

Naguguluhan ko siyang tiningnan pero nang wala akong makuhang sagot ay sumaklolo akong tumingin kay Kyros. He sighs and mouths her father before turning away.

Niyakap ko ang kaibigan. Her whole body is so tense. Wala siyang reaksyon. Nanatiling nakalaylay ang mga braso niya sa magkabilang gilid. She says she doesn't care, but all of Shantel—her eyes, her skin, her soul is screaming with pain. The suffering in her eyes almost made it unbearable to stare at her broken face.

"Are you going to tell your sister-"

"No," came her reply in a clipped voice. "She doesn't need to know."

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko sa narinig. "But Shantel, it's her Dad-"

"She doesn't need to know, okay!" tumaas nang bahagya ang basag niyang boses at inilayo niya ang katawan sa akin. "She's... She's thriving in her career. It's a crucial time for her and she doesn't need any distractions... or family drama. Mommy prohibited me from contacting her."

Hindi ako nakaimik. Shantel rarely talks about her family, and I know the situation is bad, but I never imagined it to be this bad. It's severe. No sane person can handle it without breaking down and she just acts like she's made of stone.

Napalingon ako nang makarinig ng mabibigat na yapak patungo sa kusina. I could hear Castian's excited voice and Rigor's as well. Seconds later, the two materialized in the kitchen doorway. Rigor immediately sensed the tension and halted.

"Is... everything okay?" medyo alinlangan pa niyang tanong.

"Hi Ninang!" bati ni Castian na walang kaalam-alam sa nangyayari.

Sinenyasan ko si Rigor na iwanan muna kaming tatlo. He gave me a discreet nod and turned to his son. Mabilis niya naman itong na-engganyo na bumalik sa labas para bumili ng ice cream. When the two of them left, Shantel gripped the kitchen countertop hardly and leaned her head against it.

I heard Kyros sighing. Tumayo siya at nilapitan si Shantel saka marahang inalis ang nakapako niyang mga braso sa lamesa. He engulfed her into a tight hug and whispered something to her ears. Moments later, she started crying silently into his chest.

Seeing her in a state of distraté made me feel nauseous about my own dismissive family. I've been putting it off as far as I can but now the weight of knowing that my mother is back in the country is weighing down on me.

"Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?"

Nginitian ko si Rigor nang pilit, pero sa totoo'y kumakabog ang dibdib ko. I glanced at the sorrowful-looking hospital—like nothing good happens inside of it and took in a deep breath. Castian stares at me curiously from the back seat.

"You'll be fast, Mommy?" tanong niya kahit hindi pa man ako nakakalabas ng sasakyan.

"Yes, Castian." I reach for him to caress his cheeks. I need something to calm me down before facing her again. "Just go get some ice cream with Daddy, okay?"

His eyes twinkled with excitement. Dali-dali siyang tumango at binalingan ang ama.

"I want the strawberry flavor this time, Daddy!" request pa niya.