30. Bella's Back Is A Target

The tension was thick in the living room

The tension was thick in the living room. The wolves may have been cool with Lizzie but the rest of her family put them on edge. They honestly couldn't see how she managed to be a Cullen, despite her cold skin she was the warmest of the lot. And add that to how most of her family couldn't stand the wolves, regardless of Lizzie and Jacob's relationship.

"Well, this is awkward," Damon commented.

"Tell me about it," Dean muttered. "I'm so happy to be a part of... whatever this is."

The two boys were ignored as Esme smiled warmly and asked. "Would anyone like some food?"

"Yes, please. That'll probably be the smartest idea ever, Momma," Lizzie sighed.

"Alright, sit."

She gestured for the wolves to make themselves comfortable on the floor and couches. It wasn't until Jacob sat down did they very tentatively follow. Leah was the first with Seth on the carpet by her feet and Damon flopped down beside her with his head in her lap. Jacob pulled Lizzie into his lap too as the two cuddled on the end of the couch.

"You really imprinted on her?" Edward asked his face pulled in disgust.

"It's neither of their faults. It's not exactly something that can be helped," Jared said. Lizzie was surprised, even though she and Jared had come a long way in their friendship from disdain to happy tolerance, she still wasn't used to him defending her.

"So, it's my understanding that Lizzie has been over the treaty line multiple times now?" Carlisle asked. He wasn't so worried about Damon, he helped create the treaty but he wasn't a part of it back then or even now. He wasn't a Cold One.

"Sorry, Daddy," Lizzie apologized, knowing what she did before getting permission was a risk to her family.

"It's alright, Kitty, I understand."

The guilty voice Lizzie used and the soft tone Carlisle used showed the wolves that the vampires weren't really so different from them. Obviously, there were the major things like being a shifter while the other was literally dead. But then there were the smaller things that proved just like the tribe to the wolves, the Cullens were a family above their nature. Brothers and sisters with two parents just like any other. The mother and father worried about their children while the siblings were naturally protective of each other.

"Yes, with my permission," Sam spoke up. He wanted to make things blatantly clear as to not get his friend in trouble. "It'd be practically inhumane to keep an imprint away from their wolf. She tends to stay with the Clearwaters or with my fiance, Emily, when Jacob's out on patrol."

"And Emily?"

"Is also an imprint, not a werewolf. But she knows about everything."

"Well, if Lizzie is allowed over there, I don't see any problem with letting Jacob come over here. It only seems fair," Carlisle proposed. "Leah and Seth too." Damon smiled at that and so did the two Clearwaters.