twenty-nine: closure

What was she supposed to say? Her heart palpitated as he stood and walked to her. His tall body marched to her with affluence and ease. His composure looked so relaxed though she couldn’t say the same thing when he guided her to the table.

“Thank you, sir,” Selena uttered, looking to her lap.

Selena sat beside him and he pushed her chair in. She smiles at him, only for her to blush and retreat.

It seemed like her willingness to show respect had caused him to vehemently sigh. Though she couldn’t help it. If things were different, she wouldn’t resort to formalities.

She wouldn’t be calling him sir or Alpha, only his name or maybe something else.

She shuddered at the idea and immediately threw it away.

“Would you like a cup of chamomile tea?” He cocks his head. “Or perhaps some biscuits? I can also have someone bring us bread.”

“Biscuits and tea would be lovely.” She says.

“Okay.” He mutters, smiling slightly as he types on his phone.

It was a couple of minutes later when a wolf carrying a silver platter, bringing her a cup of tea, as well as a plate of biscuits that looked refined, expensive, was the right words.

She’d only seen biscuits like these in stores that sold them one by one and each of them was priced considerably steep. If she remembered correctly, it was a hundred dollars every dozen and ten dollars per biscuit. And based on the number of biscuits on the medium-sized plate, she concluded that she was looking at a plate of biscuits worth about three hundred dollars. Not including the plates, teacup, and saucers that looked utterly expensive as well.

“Selena?” He calls her name, snapping her awake.

Why was she even pondering the prices of objects? She licked her lower lip and shakily lifted the cup and brought it to her mouth.

She knew why she was distracting herself with the minutia of everything. The truth of the matter was, she was not ready or maybe just too scared to utter the wrong words and give him a false impression.

“Thank you for this.” She says.

He smiles, glancing away from her.

He sat there, eyes opened with serenity as he gazed down on his wolves on the front lawn. She felt like he was admiring them. Happy, full families, unaware of everything. It was in this moment of solitude that Selena let herself feel the trickle of her overflowing emotions. His knife-edged nose that she oddly wanted to reach for and fell the tip of it. And his lips, luscious and thick. She already felt them against her forehead, remembering how soft they were on her skin. Selena hated how much she wanted him to glance her way and to know what he thought of her.

He must have thought of her as nothing, someone useless.

Someone beneath him.

Someone undeserving of his kindness and attention.

He even pushed her away when she was about to mark him.

Selena filled her mind with thoughts of hate and disdain, hoping that things she imagined would unbuckle her urge for his validation. She felt wicked doing it. But to relinquish her feelings for him, she needed to let herself bleed and be hurt. And if left her a scar then she would have something to remind that Nathaniel Morris was truly nothing to her.

The wind brushes her hair towards him and Selena watched as he smiled but not in her direction, but to the family in the yard.

“Looks like Greta was accepted to her dream college.” He murmured.