────── seventeen

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

═══ DEMONS AND ANGELS ═══

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

HESITATION. IN A FIGHT IT COULD BE LETHAL to hesitate for even a second before a strike. Leaving this sort of opportunity for the opponent to attack could turn the tables and ultimately end in your loss. By hesitating to enter the building where Seina lived momentarily could not be compared to a fight between two or more people. It was a battle with herself.

The last time Akiko had talked to her sister, she had wanted to cut all ties. To come crawling back, asking for Seina's help, was hurting the little pride she had left. It made her feel small and helpless to always depend on others. At the same time, Akiko knew she couldn't change overnight. Change took it's sweet time to settle in and develop. Until that time would come, Akiko had to make do with all the resources she had.

Watching carefully from the side, Chifuyu witnessed as Akiko's doubtful eyes gradually hardened in expression until her face reflected nothing but utmost determination. He could only imagine whatever was going through her head. He contemplated asking her whether or not he should accompany her, when Akiko suddenly moved and stormed into the building. Without thinking, Chifuyu rushed after her, his body making the decision for him.

As they rode up in the elevator, silence filled the air. And even though it had been little over two weeks since the two had met, Chifuyu was impressed by Akiko's development. When they had met, she was a rather shy, reserved girl. Then came the day when she had been forced to stand up to Hoshino Ken and Kurayami, which seemed to have awoken her spirit to fight. Now, against all odds, Akiko pulled herself together and faced the demons of her past in order to fight for a future she always wanted for herself. Freedom. Security. Love. A sense of belonging.

Chifuyu felt proud. A smile tugged at his lips as he admired Akiko.

She caught him staring. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Heat rose to his face. Quickly, Chifuyu averted his eyes to the floor and cleared his throat. "Uh, nothing. Just spaced out."

The elevator doors slid open in the same moment Akiko quirked an eyebrow, saving him from further embarrassment. Once Akiko had turned her back on him, Chifuyu released a sigh of relief and straightened his posture. If he wanted to protect Akiko, he couldn't let his guard down and let himself be distracted this easily.

For some reason, Seina was already expecting them. The tall woman stood in the doorway with her arms crossed and a calculating look in her hazel eyes. Something about her seemed off. She appeared oddly tense and stressed out. A crease between her eyebrows and the way her lips were pressed together firmly gave her away.

"It was only a matter of time before you came back," Seina revealed confidently. "What changed your mind?"

"Can we talk?" Akiko asked, completely evading the question. "It's important."

"It's a bad time right now. Come back tomorrow."

The door was about to shut in their faces. While Chifuyu shrugged to himself, thinking it couldn't be helped and that he rather not get on another Hoshino's bad side, Akiko proved more stubborn. Slamming her foot between the door and the frame, she stopped Seina from brushing her off.