CHAPTER 27 ↠ freedom

Barefoot sitting on the ground near Michael, Bea poured herself some more wine, as she laughed at something Michael had said

Barefoot sitting on the ground near Michael, Bea poured herself some more wine, as she laughed at something Michael had said. They had to order more wine bottles from room service, since they had drunk the entire bottle that came with the dinner.

"So they wanted you to marry a stranger?"

"Crazy people, honestly... As if I would ever."

"I can't even imagine you following rules. Honestly, the two times I've spoken to you before today you looked as rebellious as they come."

"As who come?" Bea asks confused, too drunk on wine to think clearly.

"Gypsy girls."

"Ooh, you've never been around a real gypsy girl. They're much worse than me. I'm very well behave."

"But you ran away from home and would run away again."

"I'm just... exercising my freedom."

"All right, so your aunt would have you married," Michael says putting the conversation back on track. "You left after meeting the man. Was he that bad?"

"The opposite. I mean... he wasn't 'too good' but he was very handsome, educated, sounded intelligent and kind. But I didn't know him and I was already half-engaged to him? Fuck that. I decide who I marry."

"Here, here," Michael cheers, raising his glass. "And how exactly did you leave the house unnoticed?"

"Through the service door at the back of the house."

"Right, of course, the service door. Where else?" Michael says as if he should have known. "But you left in the middle of the night?"

"Yes, when everyone was sleeping. But if someone heard the service door opening from the inside, they wouldn't be alarmed."

"And you just got to dirty, old Birmingham, and now you're in New York."

"I've always wanted to travel, leave the country... And now I'm in the United States... All things considered, I couldn't have had a better plan."

"I guess not. You just needed a stranger to come in and make you take the first step out of your aunt's house."

"Do you know what the funniest thing is?" Bea asks.

"What is the funniest thing, Beatrice?"

"I found that same stranger on the boat here."