| xxvii: memories |

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal." Richard Puz

" — Richard Puz

Jaipur, India

The pitter-patter of the rain hadn't stopped from the time I had stepped out of the Bureau. My dry fingers traced the drops of rain that splattered on the other side of the glass door of the balcony, the cold seeping through my fingers. The whole balcony was now wet in the rain as I watched the rain crashing on the balcony.

Even after living in Mumbai for years, the rain did not fascinate me. It never did. People say that rain is the most beautiful thing ever. I don't doubt their judgement. Rain is indeed beautiful. But, also it has its disadvantages. Like getting your toes, shoes and clothes muddy, difficult to drive and loads of traffic. Not to mention how dingy and sweaty those public transport become during the rains.

There was a flash of lightning followed by its roaring sound. Unseasonal rains were the worst.

Pranav had left half an hour ago, leaving me completely baffled by his words. I didn't let the shock come to my face as I didn't want to bother him. He had a lot on his plate.

I was in denial, not believing what he had said. The snippets were so repetitive and so vivid in my dreams that it wasn't possible that I was seeing something that did not happen at all and that too, for years. It felt real. Those painful memories were books with chapters, deep and horrible and it was unbelievable that I was wrong on one detail, all this time.

I took out my phone from my pocket and dialled the number of the one who would be able to answer the questions that were erupting in my head.

"Howdy bestie!" Aadya screeched from the other side, making me wince and keeping the phone away from my ear.

"Hey!" I muttered softly. I wasn't in the mood for a casual conversation. But now when I am talking to Aadya, I don't think she would let me off so soon.

"That was a cold hey," she replied and I could imagine her narrowing her eyes and deadpanning right now.

"Nothing like that. Just tired." I could hear her sigh as if it was the most obvious thing I had said.