Chapter 14

Y/N POV:

"I must admit, Number Five and Eight, in all the time that I've been here, I've never met a pair quit like you two," The Handler says.

She is currently taking us to our new job at The Commission.

"Hello Eight," A boy says as we continue to walk.

Five my have heard the boy because he puts his hand around my waist, pulling me closer to him. Five gives him a glare and the boy runs away.

"Hazel and Cha-Cha, for example, are talented, certainly, but... they can't see the big picture," The Handler continues to say as we walk into a building.

" And Eight...Your spunk, your enterprising spirit, well, it reminds me a great deal of myself, if... I may be so vainglorious."

"Ew," I whisper to Five, "I am nothing like her."

"If things work out here for both of you,  you could potentially make fine successors, especially you Five."

"We would like to discuss the logistics of our family's safety at your earliest convenience," Five says, not giving two shits about what The Handler just said.

"Such chutzpah. It's refreshing, I'll admit. Slow down, you lovers. All in good time. In fact, now that you've finally agreed to work with us, we've got all the time in the world."

I roll my eyes at the new nickname. The Handler takes us up some stairs and leads us to the briefcase room. Oh, how I remember that room.

"The Commission works in support of a delicate balance between the timeline of events and mankind's free will. The briefcase is no longer part of your kit. So free your mind. You're both management now. One of us."

We walk up another flight of stairs and reach a big office. There were hundreds of people sitting at desks typing on typewriters.

"All the people on this floor are case managers, each one responsible for one major event at a time."

"So many of them," Five mumbles.

"Impressive, isn't it? Being part of something so... grand. Come along."

Five and I continue to walk down the hall while The Handler continues talking.

"Whenever someone chooses the wrong path and the timeline is changed, The Commission gets a report from field agents on the ground. These field reports are sorted and assigned to a case manager. They determine if anyone needs to be...removed from the equation to assure that their event happens as it should."

The Handler leads us into a room that had a whole bunch of tubes. Inside was an older lady putting a message down a tube.

"Based on that determination, the case manager sends instructions via pneumatic tube to temporal assassins like you guys formerly were. Any queries so far?" she asks.

"Yeah. Who was the case manager handling us?" Five asks.

"Ah. You mean the apocalypse," The Handler says as she strokes Five's cheek with the back of her hand.

I smack her hand off of Five's cheek and Five lets out a little laugh. He grabs my hand and squeezes it telling me not to be jealous. We follow her down the hallway to a smaller office still hand-in-hand.

"Five, Eight, meet Dot."

"Oh. Hi," Dot says with a smile.

"Dot is responsible for all apocalypse matters. In fact, it was Dot here who first flagged your appearances in 2019."

"No hard feelings," Dot tells us.

"Well, you certainly put us through the ringer. Outsmarting two of our so-called best temporal assassins. If that doesn't spell leadership material..." The Handler says, saying the last part louder.