Love & Serenity

Hey guys,

Just came on here to inform you that twenty chapters of my currently ongoing novel, Love & Serenity is up.

Updates every Wednesday and Friday and I should be done in November or, worst case scenario, December.

I hope you guys check it out. Here's a scene from Love & Serenity.

"Whoa, careful," Jax said, holding her upright again. "I don't think you can stand on your own, let alone walk."

"I'll be fine." She said with a small smile even though her leg was hurting so bad.

Jax studied her face as he did quite too often. It made her nervous having his eyes bearing into hers so intensely.

Lillian widened her smile while looking at him but Jax could see right through it.

"Why don't we head to my place and get your leg checked out, ..."

"No, it's fine really."

"...it's just over there. Closer than yours. I could drive you to your place afterwards."

Lillian could see the place he'd gestured to just a distance away, definitely closer than hers. She looked back up at him.
"I don't want to bother."

"You're not. I'm offering." Jax said. "I can't let you make the walk back up that rocky path all on your own with that leg."

Lillian took a moment to make her decision.
"Alright."

Jax's smile was small and she nearly missed it.

"Lean on me." He said as they started walking towards his place.

"Thank you." Lillian's face scrunched up without her meaning to.

"I could carry you."

"No!" Lillian snapped her face to his in a panic. "This is fine."

"It would only worsen your leg."

"As you said, your place is closer." She looked away from him and focused on increasing her strides so he wouldn't bring it up again.

Halfway to his place, Jax chuckled at her cute facial expression. She was in pain but yet she was so determined to walk on her own and faster than her leg was letting her so he wouldn't bring up 'carrying her'.

"What's funny?"

"You are."

"Oh?"

"Lillian, I don't mind carrying you the rest of the way." He said, "You look like you're in pain."

Lillian looked up at him.
"I'm fine." She said, "I can make it."

"You are so stubborn."
Jax muttered under his breath.

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

A while later, Lillian made it to his place, exhausted and her injured leg screaming in pain and begging for relief. She hadn't even noticed her surrounding quite well.

"Just a few more steps." Jax helped her into the living area and towards the sofa then helping her on it. "There you go."

He got rid of her sneakers and propped her legs on the sofa as well putting a cushion beneath the injured one.

Lillian rested her head against the backrest of the sofa.

"I'll get you some water and ice pack for your leg."

Jax walked to his en suite kitchen keeping his eyes on her as he poured some chilled water into a glass and put some ice into the ice pack. Otto chose that time to make his entry. Standing at the doorway to the rooms, he glanced at Jax and at Lillian who hadn't seen him yet. Choosing to ignore Jax, he went on to investigate who the person that smelled so familiar was.

Otto limped towards Lillian and when she saw him, she smiled.
"Hey there, Otto."

Otto barked.

"Remember me?" Otto barked again. "I know, I'm sorry for running my car into you. It won't happen again, I promise."

Jax listened to the one-sided conversation before he rejoined her in the living room.

"Here you go." Jax handed her the glass of water.

"Thank you." Lillian took the glass and drank the content in one breath coming up for air.

Jax smiled to himself.
"More?"

She nodded her head.
"Yes please."

Jax made his way back to the kitchen with a smile. He took the jug and headed back to the living room where Lillian was already scratching Otto's head. Pulling up a side table, he poured her some water into the glass and placed the jug on the table as she drank some more.

Jax made his way to the end of the sofa where her leg was propped. Rolling the hem of her jeans up, he inspected the leg.
"Well, it's pretty swollen, walking on it only made it worse."

Lillian let out a breath as Jax placed the ice pack on her swollen ankle. Her eyes went from his hand on the ice pack on her leg to his face.

"If it hurts really bad, I can get you some painkillers." Jax looked up and caught her gaze.

They both froze, eyes on each other at that moment.

Lillian nodded slowly.
"Yes, please."

Jax took a moment before her answer registered in his brain. He let go of the ice pack and made his way inside to get some painkillers for her.

Lillian took that moment to look around, taking it all in.
His place was absolutely beautiful.

Beside her, Otto watched her as he wagged his tail, her hand still scratching his head.
"I'd forgotten just how beautiful you are." Otto barked, "Right, sorry. Handsome."

She looked out the exit to the patio which was all floor to ceiling glass with one portion of the glass pushed to the side and leaving the exit open and the ocean breeze blowing in, the curtains dancing.

Lillian smiled and shut her eyes as the breeze swooped inside and wrapped its cool hands around her and Otto whimpered.

"You're cold? C'mon up here, let's keep each other warm and cozy."

Lillian patted the sofa and Otto joined her, slower than she assumed he would've if his legs were injured. He moved around for a while trying to find a comfortable spot and when he did, he placed his head on her stomach, looking at her.
"You are so cute."

"I think Otto would agree with me if he could, that you shouldn't call him cute."

I hope you give it a read.

Love,
Jane Lanett. ❤️