forty two.

CHAPTER FORTY TWO
come clean

Lucious

Lucious was sitting on the couch while Cookie paced around furiously. She was mad because her dinner party was a total disaster. She had even kicked Hakeem out of the house for the entire day because of it.

What happened last night was no one's fault but hers. Mateo wasn't welcome in that house, and he never would be. Because what Cookie didn't understand was that any time Mateo stepped foot in that house, all hell would break loose. That was just how it was.

Cookie glared at Lucious. She probably wanted to kick him out too, but she couldn't. That was his house. "I don't know why you're mad at me, Cookie."

"I'm mad because this family embarrassed themselves in front of company. I'm also mad because Jamal's right. All this family does is fight."

"No one told you to invite Mateo over. You should've known that wouldn't end well. I never liked the guy."

"But why, Lucious? Why can't you and Hakeem act right for one night?" Cookie shouted.

"Hakeem was acting right. You heard what Mateo said; he called him a dumbass. All I did was defend our son like a father should."

"Well, our other son more than likely just lost the love of his life, so I hope you're happy."

"Ecstatic," he said dryly. His phone started ringing.  It was Jamal calling. "Speaking of our other son." Lucious answered the phone. "Yes, Jamal?"

"Dad, did you see Hakeem's video?"

"What video?"

"I just sent it to Ma."

"Yes he did," Cookie said as her phone vibrated. She played the video and Lucious leaned over to watch. The video was of Hakeem telling his fans to fuck Jamal up if they saw him. Lucious was in disbelief, and so was Cookie.

"Did that boy just-"

"Yes he did! Everyone's out for my head, dad!" Jamal cried out.

"No one's gonna touch you, baby! Believe that!" Cookie promised.

Lucious agreed. "Your mother's right, Jamal. We're gonna make sure you're protected at all times."

"And what about Hakeem?"

Cookie quickly answered. "Hakeem's gonna get the ass whooping of a lifetime. That's what."

"I think he needs way more than that, but thanks. I'll talk to y'all later."

Jamal hung up and Cookie was livid. "I can't believe that boy. Putting a hit out on his brother? Who does that?"

"Hakeem apparently."

Right on cue, Hakeem came walking in with no shame whatsoever. Cookie was ready to beat his ass, but Lucious held her back. Hakeem noticed her anger. "She's still mad, bruh?"

"I'm madder than I was this morning! You have no sense, boy! You put a hit out on your brother?!"

Hakeem was surprised. "You know about that?"

Lucious spoke now. "Yeah, we know about that. What were you thinking?!"

Hakeem explained. "People are taking Jamal's side, calling me weak and shit. I wasn't about to let them slander me like that."

"So you tell your fans to attack him? How is that solving anything, Hakeem?" Cookie questioned.

Hakeem sucked his teeth. "Pop, you understand right?"

"No, I don't understand. I don't understand anything you've been doing lately."

"You're mad at me too?"

Lucious let out an exasperated sigh. "Look Hakeem, what ever beef you and Jamal have stays within the family. You don't get the rest of the world involved in it. So yeah, I am mad because now I have to fix this. Jamal needs bodyguards because of you and your mouth."

Cookie didn't even want to look at her own son. "How about you go upstairs, Hakeem? You've done enough damage. Again."

Hakeem sucked his teeth again because he believed their anger was unnecessary, but it wasn't. Jamal's life was at risk because of him. And yes, Lucious and Jamal didn't get along, but that was still his son.

No one was going to touch his son.

Andre

Andre had been glued to his phone for the past ten minutes because he couldn't believe what he had just seen. There was a video spreading of Hakeem telling his fans to hurt Jamal. Andre knew Hakeem and Jamal hated each other, but he didn't think Hakeem would do something as crazy as that.

A part of Andre felt guilty because he was the reason why his brothers had beef in the first place. He had lied to Jamal and told him Hakeem was talking shit about his sexuality when he never did. Nothing had been the same after that.

Hakeem had taken the beef too far, and Jamal could end up dead because of Andre; because he wanted to be CEO. Getting the advantage wasn't worth it at all.

Suddenly, Rhonda rushed into the room. "Have you seen Hakeem's video?!"

"Yes, I was just looking at it."

Rhonda was worried. "This is really bad, Andre! Jamal's in danger!"

"Yeah he is, so thanks a lot, Rhonda!"

"What? I didn't do anything!"

He accused her some more. "You're the one who told me to get the advantage in this competition! I did, and look what happened!"

"Okay, when I told you to get the advantage, I didn't know things would go downhill this badly. I didn't think Hakeem would put a hit out on Jamal!"

Andre put his hands on my hips. "I didn't either, but I should've known this would happen. I always said Hakeem didn't know how to control his emotions. He gets lost in his anger."

"Since you're the cause of this, you know what you have to do, right?" Rhonda mentioned.

"What?"

"Come clean."

"About what?!" Andre exclaimed.

"About instigating their beef! Don't you feel guilty?"

"Yeah I do, but if I come clean, Pop isn't going to make me CEO!" he reminded her.

Rhonda yelled at him. "Forget about the CEO position, Andre! Your brother's life is more important!" Andre was still hesitant, so Rhonda grabbed his face and spoke seriously. "Listen to me. You're the only one who can end their beef, and you know that. You have to come clean. Who knows? Maybe Lucious will appreciate your honesty and make you CEO anyway."

Or maybe he'd completely disown Andre. Lucious didn't like snakes, and if Andre confessed to starting the beef, he would be proving Hakeem right. That he was a snake. Lucious wouldn't be happy at all.

But Rhonda was right: Jamal's life was more important than a competition. He had to come clean before it was too late, so that was what he was going to do.

He just hoped his family forgave him.