39. The Parker Mansion

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE: The Parker Mansion

I stare out in the ice cold hue of the house I left to nothing in the moments I wasn't able to stare at the grand décor of the old Parker mansion. Wearing a black trench coat and my hair tied back in a high ponytail, I stare down at the two gravestones of John and Christina Parker, together-even in the after life. The vine of blossoming flowers loom along both large white stones.

I stare at both, "I wish I knew more, Dad. I wish I was strong enough to stand by your side at every meeting from the moment I was born, had I known I was forced to lose you thirteen years later, I would have spent far more time learning every trick, learning every strategy you correlated and conducted in such a global enterprise, but more than that, I just wanted to know more. How you and Mom met? How life is so dangerous in a business like ours and why losing the both of you was the cost or maybe the push I needed to not lean on you, but every hard lesson you ever taught me, I memorised it, wrote it in a book and swore I'd do better." I whisper to the stones, no coffins were underneath, no ashes found, no bodies.

I couldn't find in myself to come before.

To walk down these steps and to the pale temple...to here.

"I thought that if I could run the business like you did, Dad-then I could survive knowing I made you proud, knowing what you worked so hard for in life, I would fulfil this dream and I'd do it with any and every risk necessary, my happiness included. But, Mom, stubborn and hardheaded, but beautiful and wise-you told me once that when life begins swirling a storm of silence in its cold substance and merciless thunderstorms, that holding onto a memory, the present or a goal of the future, it's strong enough to turn you to stone, so a light must shed its rays on the surface for the necessity of life and moving forward. That love is the strongest, the brightest and the warmest and that when it was time, I would know who that light is for me." I murmur.

I close my eyes, "You were right, Mom." I whisper.

"As a child, I did as he asked because I wanted to make you both proud. Proud of a girl who didn't know any better but to obey. And I did. I tried my best and hoped that when I was older, I wouldn't have to watch Father hire and fire employees for looking deeper into their lives. For looking at every angle, in every district, not wanting too many managers to trust because trusting so many people at a time...is not something someone can ever be taught to do. It is woven and unravelled in our hearts every day we continue moving forward."

I close my eyes and duck my head slowly down, the wind floating through my hair like a tender caress, or a rustling brush, "I love you both with all my heart and I am sorry for not saying it as often as I should have, for not seeing earlier. I love you."

They all stand behind me.

Rosa-belle sniffles, "You never told us how?" She whispers. How it happened? How they died? For it wasn't even I who could answer such a question. It wasn't even Stevens who could answer that question either. The only two people I knew who could was already in the stars.