I 48 I

☂ the end of the universe ☂ 

We stay behind the counter, occasionally throwing something at the masked intruders, like a bowling ball, or Kenny's unfortunate birthday cake. 

'How are we going to get out of here?' Diego yells, tossing another knife over the counter. 

Alison smacks my arm, pointing at the lanes. The chute where the pins disappear is narrow, but not impossible to fit through. 

'Go!' I shout, diving towards the lanes. The others follow behind me, sliding into the open chute. I roll out the other end, landing neatly on my feet. Luther, on the other hand, gets partially stuck, and Klaus has to pull him out. 'Wait- where's Five?' 

The others shrug helplessly. 

'I think he said there was something else he had to do,' Diego squints. 'He had a fortune cookie or something in his hand a couple of minutes ago.' 

I frown. So he just decided to leave?

'There's no time,' Luther says, holding the door open. We run out the back exit, down the alley. 

'The Icarus Theatre,' Diego gasps, pointing across the street. 'That's where Vanya is.' 

Alison nods towards the guest entry, tapping on her note pad. 'Y/N and I go alone.' It says. 

Luther huffs, shaking his head. 'Absolutely not.' 

'It's our best option,' I glare at him. 'Do you really think she's going to trust you? After what you did?' 

He shifts his weight uneasily. 'Fine.' 

Alison and I walk noiselessly into the crowded theatre, standing in the middle of the aisle. I catch Vanya's gaze, smiling slightly. She smiles back, but the eerie way her eyes shine makes me sure that she's still not herself. 

The music is absolutely beautiful, despite the betrayal she must be feeling. 

A large figure comes barreling out of the back stage towards Vanya and I groan inwardly. That idiot. 

Vanya waves her bow and a blast of energy throws Luther at the crowd. He lands, unhurt, on the other side of the theatre, but the sound wave still reverberates around the room, causing a powerful wind. The guests begin to freak out, running as fast as they can in the direction of the door. 

Loud shouts fill the stadium, and some of the other musicians stand up to leave as well. Vanya brandishes her bow at them, making them continue playing. 

'She's stronger than expected,' Diego comments, kneeling behind one of the chairs. Alison and I glare at Luther. 

'Yeah, yeah,' He says. 'We're fine, thanks for asking.' Alison stares at him in a stony silence. 'Look, I almost lost you once, all right? I wasn't about to lose you again.' 

'Well, so much for the element of surprise.' I scoff. 'What else you got?'

Alison points rapidly at the stage. 

'No shit, Allison. Tell us something we don't already know.' Diego mutters. 

'She's talking about the violin. It's her lightning rod.' Luther peeks out from behind his chair. 'If we can take it from her and stop her from playing, we might have a shot.' 

Suddenly, the gunmen come around the corner, firing at the stage. The remaining orchestra members scream, running away through the back exit. 

'What the hell happened to Klaus? He's supposed to be on lookout.' Diego yells, grabbing the chair.