Chapter twenty-six

Layla

We pass one of the three pubs in Lakeintown; 'The Odd Flute'. I stop and look through the pointed windows. Televisions inside detail a news report of what is happening in the city. Words scroll at the bottom that Mavlins were near the bakery and the 'Bar-net' skyscraper but have since been halted by the Guardians. Even as this goes on, people are still drinking and playing pool. A few watch the screens but don't flea. Mavlin attacks are very common so people have got used to these disturbances. 

With every news report, there is a threat indicator that rises and falls depending on what's happening. Dare I say that this feature from the news is reliable but it's one of the only things that is valid other than the grammar and punctuation of articles. The indicator is ranged from zero to fifty. It's dropped from twenty-two to fifteen now which is a promising sign that this Mavlin attack has eased.

     "We should head to the Spire Layla" Maylock comes from behind me. 

     "Yeah, okay. The indicator is dropping so it shouldn't be too bad" 

     "Keep alert though" Maylock instructs as we leave the pub and head over to the tallest building in Lakeintown. 

 As we pass the large park gate entrance and then a construction site, the twisted base of the Spire comes into view. The corkscrew design continues throughout the entire building. It's a breath taking marvel. Near the top, a golden sphere is held by three curls that represent the ancient Guardian angels. They are held in such high regard figuratively and literally. A pointed antenna stands in the middle of the sphere which adds to the defying height. The engineering of such a building is admirable but it still doesn't motivate me to set foot on the viewing platform. 

     "Seems to be clear of Mavlins" Maylock announces when several of them suddenly intercept our approach. 

I jump, startled by their sudden, spontaneous showing. Where the hell did they come from? 

     "Well, spoke to soon" Maylock stands beside me.

     "Uh, what are we going to do?" The Mavlins slowly gain on us. Armour plates line their robotic human-like bodies and differ in grey and black. Red and blue cables flow in and out around parts of their bodies. Each Mavlin is different. The only similarity between them are two small horns that protrude from the sides of their foreheads.

     "Just pretend that they are that punching bag. I am" Maylock chuckles reminding me of what he did when he was at my shack.

     "You have got to be..." I abruptly stop mid-sentence as I can seem to sense movement behind me.

Bit odd.

Everything around me has slowed down and I turn to see a Mavlin heading right for me. I have ample time to anticipate it and I kick the Mavlin as soon as it nears me. It disintegrates instantly into small particles when it hits the ground.

     "...Kidding, you have to be kidding" My breath is heavy.

This added strength from the armour is really something.

     "Come on, let's kick some robotic ass" the adrenaline of what I did is fuelling me.

     "Couldn't have said it better myself. Now stick together"

The Mavlins attack first, making us have to deflect every onslaught they do towards us and they don't stop. They lash out at any opportunity and are not fazed by our defence. When I take a hit from a Mavlin, I respond with a punch and then another, managing to knock it down. I keep this up, always being on the offensive now as I go through three more Mavlins. This is really putting myself-trained skills and techniques to the test.